35mm carbs to stock airbox?

BSHEE400

is there boots available for my purpose or do i have to make something up? if there is where can i get them? also is 170psi to much compression for pump gas? it's a freshly built 421 cub, noss head with 21cc domes, vf3 and 35mm pwk's. ( i need the airbox as it's always raining here in ireland )

any help or advice welcome, thanks guys

is there boots available for my purpose or do i have to make something up? if there is where can i get them? also is 170psi to much compression for pump gas? it's a freshly built 421 cub, noss head with 21cc domes, vf3 and 35mm pwk's. ( i need the airbox as it's always raining here in ireland )

any help or advice welcome, thanks guys

in my opinion that is too much compression for pump gas. i believe 155-160 is the

limit and that's really pushing it if you have your timing advanced any.

as for the boots, not real sure. you may have to go to a hardware store

and get creative. i know the dia. on the mouth of those pwks is right around

2" or 50mm if you are using the metric system. lol

im not sure on the dia on the inlets on the air box.

BSHEE400,

I also did a search on this while ago but didn't come up with much. Most people on here run pods the way it seems. I also wanted to retain the airbox with 35's due to trail riding conditions. I still have PWK 28's using stock sized boots with the airbox in place. However, we set my brother-in-law's quad up with 35's and the stock airbox a while back. This is the information that I have gathered so far. UPP, Moose and maybe a few others sell carb to airbox boots for the 33/35's as well as elastomer intake boots that look just like stock (with or without crossover tube holes). I am sure you can get these through Jeff at FAST also. You can also buy a lot of different billet intakes but some of them move the carbs back a ways so be careful with these - call and check with the manufacturer before buying. I know Jeff sells these as well as NOSS and a bunch of others. I think Pro Design intakes/manifolds retain pretty close to a stock carb location also with as much clutch lever clearance as possible.

I used Moose intake to carb boots for 33/35's. I also used Moose intakes which somewhat retain the stock carb location, however the 33/35's are dimensionally bigger carbs than the stockers. I had to trim (shorten) the airbox "bells" where the carb to airbox boots mount as far back as I could while still allowing enough length for the boots to fit on the bells. I also cut the ears off the side of the airbox that go over the pins on the frame to allow a height change of the airbox and some front-to-rear position change. You might have to open up the rear airbox mount holes for the 6mm screws a little. I used the stock clamps at the airbox and got some nice thin hose clamps from McMaster-Carr for the airbox boots at the carbs. The Moose intakes came with clamps. The carbs we used already had the left side drain hole welded shut for clearance with the clutch lever. It almost looked like the carb could clear the lever with the stock drain still on the carb with some slight bending of the clutch arm, but I can't say for sure. You pretty much need to remove the airbox now in order to get the carbs out - it makes the job MUCH easier. I used the stock Tee for the fuel line with some new blue plyurethane fuel line to make a fuel supply setup.

I was going to install 35's but I found out these carbs are THIRSTY. We went to the Upper Penisula of Michigan riding and I got about 70 miles to a tank when riding somewhat nice while my brother-in-law was out of fuel after about 35 miles. His quad needs a little jetting work yet, but I have since put my 35 switch-over on hold. My bike is a ported 4mil stroker on pump fuel and his is stock stroke with some sort of porting (he bought it used). I guess it all depends what you are using the quad for.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I can offer my experience!! :biggrin:

Later,

Ryan

Edited by Strawboss

thanks for the help guys, i'll buy those boots and start hacking up my airbox. i will let you know how it turns out.

with regards to the compression i dont know of any where i can get race gas so would using an additive to boost the octaine help or am i going to have to get 22cc domes??