question about jetting my pilot

Ok Ive been haveing a little trouble getting this running perfect. To start off I just synced the carbs and there good to go. Problem is when the bike is idling and I stab the throttle it has a bog. If I turn the air screws in to about 1/2 turn out from seated then stab the throttle the bog goes away. Howvever at about 1 1/2 turns out it has its fastest idle. Where should I go with my pilot up or down one? I should also mention that if it idles awhile i get some oil build up on the end of the silencers.

Is it engine warmed up before adjusting the air screws? Also, you have to wait a few seconds after turning the screws before the change actually takes place, kind of like turning on the hot water in the shower...takes a bit before it gets there.

The pilot screws work with the idle screws. So if you adjust one most probably the other will need to be adjusted. If there is no bog at 1/2 but the idle is low, then just adjust the idle screws so it idles at the highest point with the pilot screws only turned out 1/2 turn.

Edited by ASRBanshee

An off-idle miss is usually, but not always, a symptom of a lean pilot circuit, which is why turning in the air screw (richening the circuit) helped.

Go up one size on the pilots and test.

I'm not sure what the 'rule of thumb' is with the Banshee, but with a 250 smoker more than 2.5 turns from closed means its time to go up a pilot size.

An off-idle miss is usually, but not always, a symptom of a lean pilot circuit, which is why turning in the air screw (richening the circuit) helped.

Go up one size on the pilots and test.

I'm not sure what the 'rule of thumb' is with the Banshee, but with a 250 smoker more than 2.5 turns from closed means its time to go up a pilot size.

If its cool where you live go up 5 on the pilot if its hot go up 10 on the pilot.

If its cool where you live go up 5 on the pilot if its hot go up 10 on the pilot.

thats backwards, on hot days a bike will get richer, if you get your jetting dead on on a very hot day you could burn it up quick on a very cool day. if your going to jet a bike on a hot day then go up one size but check your plugs on a cool day to be safe

thats backwards, on hot days a bike will get richer, if you get your jetting dead on on a very hot day you could burn it up quick on a very cool day. if your going to jet a bike on a hot day then go up one size but check your plugs on a cool day to be safe

Mercury, good advice. I too recommend if jetting on a hot day to be a little richer due to if it gets cold the thing will lean out. Be a size bigger on a really hot day. Better to be safe than sorry. And always keep an eye on it, especially when you think you got it, and then the temp changes all of a sudden.

You will find a setting that will usually work in most conditions, just a tad richer in the hot weather.