Holley truck avenger carb tuning

huskyohilux

A buddy of mine has some problems with his offroad rig. He

Holley's have the float bowl at the front and rear of the carb, not an ideal setup for off road use. They will either flood or starve depending on what direction you're going on a steep hill. A better option would be a Q-jet, carter or edelbrock style carb. Even better would be fuel injection, but that's very costy. Holley's are a great performance carb for the strip, but just not the best for off road.

Yeah I agree fuel injection is a better, but a more costly and complicated, system.

These avenger series carbs from holley should be more suitable for off-road use than ordinary holleys...

I guess that make sence with the front and rear float bowls but somewhat better performance in human angles must be possible.

One other friend uses the same style carb, but bigger, on a 454 big block chevy in a toyota land cruiser. They had some problems wit that in the beginning also...turned out it just needed more air so away went the hood and later on a snorkel was mounted and it works OK now. Nobody knows how to tune these carbs here so I

Yeah I agree fuel injection is a better, but a more costly and complicated, system.

These avenger series carbs from holley should be more suitable for off-road use than ordinary holleys...

I guess that make sence with the front and rear float bowls but somewhat better performance in human angles must be possible.

One other friend uses the same style carb, but bigger, on a 454 big block chevy in a toyota land cruiser. They had some problems wit that in the beginning also...turned out it just needed more air so away went the hood and later on a snorkel was mounted and it works OK now. Nobody knows how to tune these carbs here so I

The truck avenger carb is very good for offroad use, my buddy had one never had a problem. Husky if your friend is lookin for a carb for his 305 hes in luck. I have a refurbished (looks brand spankin new) that I got for my 305 before it blew up, its the Quadrajet that is made for the 305 (believe its a 700 cfm). Let me say that I never had a problem with my quadrajet EVER, and I did some pretty extreme angles. Oh, also the timing chain threw so I only used that carb for maybe 2 hours TOPS. If your interested PM me, this carb goes for 550 bucks, or it did when I got it, ill give you a deal on it.

Could you check with your friend if he has any tuning tips or any clue why it would sputter up hill?

I think we

I had one on my 327 and could not get it right. Went to an Edelbrock and got it closer but still not perfect. The best investment I made with the carbs is a air/fuel guage. I think I paid like $140 at Summit. It will help tremendously when trying to tune a carb. Finally I went to The Edelbrock EFI and Love it. Went from 12 mile to the gal to 16 mile to the gal with no performance loss and it still pushes 375 ponies. The best thing is the fact that I don't need a single tool to tune it. Just pull it up on the module and make the adjustments from in the cockpit on the fly.

P1060089.jpg