jetting/spark plugs

brian102

the situation:

banshee screams when its cold, it doesnt run as well whenits hot, if i go in 6th gear wot down a field, then go to turn around when i jump back on the gas it bogs then finally takes off and hits power band soon as it stops bogging, im guessing the jets are a touch to big? they are outa the factory, it only does it when its warm out, like i just rode now and its 73 degrees here in michigan and it ran awsome, it was 85today and ran like crap off start, i backed the two air screws out a full turn and it seemed to acually help a little, but very little thanks

also was wondering its all stock what plugs do you guys run , do you run the b9es or 8? i know the 8 is hotter but how much hotter? and is the 8 gonna make it run any better ? like burn more of the fuel up

thanks for reading!

oh and 32:1 on the oil is right correct? yamalube i just bough some mobil sythetic aswell itsmells good cant wait to try that

Edited by brian102

run the b8es plugs and drop down your mains 1 size on those warmer days. leave pilots alone, leave needles and clip position alone, and you could probably leave the air screws alone, when going from a warm day to a cold day. 32:1 oil ratio is fine. if it were me, i wouldn't run the ratio that rich, just a waste of oil. plenty of lubrication @ 50:1 ratio, with good quality synthetic oil like mobil 1.

you think that the sythetic mobile 1 is good stuff? cause its 6 bucks a qt. but if you use that 50:1 is fine? i guess that would makeup for the price difference, the exhaust really smells rich like you cant breath that crap..

yeah, 32:1 is overkill. many will tell you differently though. i know a couple folks by me, that run their trials bikes @ 80:1. they are running a fully synthetic amsoil of course. you have mobil 1 synthetic, which is very good also. you wouldn't have to run any richer than like 45:1 for sure. just run it at 50:1 and you'll be ok.

so this is probably a stupid question i just dont wanto mess anything up

this wont lean it out to much to hurt my motor will it

i will be able to tell if its to lean? just wont hold speed or what

for right now its just field riding no dunes or anything?

maybe it will make it run a little cooler, it always seems to get really hot just messing around

Making the fuel/oil ratio higher will make the bike run richer. You have nothing to worry about so throw that worry out the door. Running at 32:1 will make the bike run more lean with the jetting rather than running 50:1 which will make the jetting a little more richer since their is more fuel to burn.

Running at 32:1 will make the bike run more lean with the jetting rather than running 50:1 which will make the jetting a little more richer since their is more fuel to burn.

other way around, 50:1 is leaner than 32:1

I belive a too rich and a too lean condition will BOTH cause it to run hotter. However too rich will foul plugs, and too lean will blow it up. It is always better to be a little rich.

Edited by boneyardbanshee.

other way around, 50:1 is leaner than 32:1

I belive a too rich and a too lean condition will BOTH cause it to run hotter. However too rich will foul plugs, and too lean will blow it up. It is always better to be a little rich.

yeah, 50:1 is leaner "OIL" wise vs 32:1...yes, but 50:1 will allow more "FUEL" to pass through the jets, so its richer "FUEL" wise. brian102, you could drop your mains 1 size on those warmer days, but i would still switch to 50:1 ratio.

ditch the yamalube, run the good stuff at 50:1 to start. use your b8es or br8es plugs. bogging in the lower end is your pilot air srew and jet, and then the needle jet mid throttle, according to the Clymer manual not your mains. they are on the top end wich sounds to be were you are running good.

Edited by boneyardbanshee.

yeah im running fine on top end, just like i said 2nd and 3rd gear taking back off it just hesitates some or bogs, i changed to the b8es, it was better today but it was also only like 75 when i was riding not 85 -90 degrees with high humidity, i did switch to the mobil with 50:1 now i gotta find somewhere else to get that oil from cause those quarts igot were just on throw away at our work cause we arent going to carry them anymore, so my manager was like take em home hah.