Coil

Will anyone please confirm whether or not their working coil shows any resistance when tested with an ohm meter? Mine shows no resistance and the clymers states that the primary should have a resistance of .28 -.38 and the secondary should show a resistance between 4,700 - 7,100. I want to be sure before i purchase a new one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Primary test between the two blade terminals. Secondary is from plug wire to plug wire without caps on. Some Clymer manuals show the test wrong. Test each cap separately. Also remove the plug wires from the coil, trim, and reterminate. They are RARELY bad but people love to replace them just for fun.

Brandon

Primary test between the two blade terminals. Secondary is from plug wire to plug wire without caps on. Some Clymer manuals show the test wrong. Test each cap separately. Also remove the plug wires from the coil, trim, and reterminate. They are RARELY bad but people love to replace them just for fun.

Brandon

Yeah, your way more likely to have a bad plug cap than a bad coil.

Thanks for the replys guys. I tested the primary which like blowit said the 2 blade terminals and that is where i got the 0.00 reading. Someone said that they thought the coil should not have resistance. so that is why i am questioning the clymers. I was hoping to get someone to confirm the resistance reading on a coil that is known to be good.

Thanks again for the replies guys.

Thanks for the replys guys. I tested the primary which like blowit said the 2 blade terminals and that is where i got the 0.00 reading. Someone said that they thought the coil should not have resistance. so that is why i am questioning the clymers. I was hoping to get someone to confirm the resistance reading on a coil that is known to be good.

Thanks again for the replies guys.

You will have some resistance on the primaries but it will be low so if your meter is not set right or is cheap, it may not catch it. Your target values are correct. Try another meter before you replace the coil. I hope it is disconnected too.

brandon

You will have some resistance on the primaries but it will be low so if your meter is not set right or is cheap, it may not catch it. Your target values are correct. Try another meter before you replace the coil. I hope it is disconnected too.

brandon

Thanks. I just purchased the ohm meter it is not the best but i would imagine it is a decent one (craftsman). I tested the stator and its range was similar to the coils range and the stator tested fine. I used the same setting to test the coil. Yes, i unplugged all the connections.

It is a new build and it will not start. The compression w/ unseated rings is 145 on left cyl. and 155 on right cyl.. It did not fire on ether so i figured it has something to do with the ignition. The gas is 2 weeks old well 3 weeks now. I triple checked and re-torqued all the bolts to make sure nothing was lose and still will not start. The stator checked out it is within the range given by the clymers manual. I am at a loss if it is not the coil.

thanks

If i find out that is what it is i will take it. Thanks

UMMMMMMMMM????? Did you check for spark? Or did you just assume it was a spark problem because it did not run on starting fluid? Have you checked the pickup gap? Does all the wiring ohm out ok? Are the kill switches hooked up, and is their wire integrity good?

UMMMMMMMMM????? Did you check for spark? Or did you just assume it was a spark problem because it did not run on starting fluid? Have you checked the pickup gap? Does all the wiring ohm out ok? Are the kill switches hooked up, and is their wire integrity good?

The pick-up gap is at .019mm. All wires are connected, except for the tors. I started looking into the ignition because it did nothing with the starter fluid and everything else seemed to be in order.

• 2 weeks later...
The pick-up gap is at .019mm. All wires are connected, except for the tors. I started looking into the ignition because it did nothing with the starter fluid and everything else seemed to be in order.

So... Did you ever find out what it was? Also did you ever find a way to properly test the coil?