Getting very irritated need help

So I bought an 2000 shee about 2 months ago it was kinda abused but i couldnt beat the price... it was a husband and wife divorce deal where she was mad and i got it for $500 bucks. I tore it comletely apart painted the chassis and have been putting it back together... I didnt really mess with the motor though. The only thing I did was put new rings cushions on the clutch... other than that it is all stock... when i put it back together it ran good but it wouldnt go into gear... at first I thought i put the clutch in wrong and it was slipping so i took it apart and I did so I fixed it and put it back together, however that did not fix it... I just flat out wont go into gear. Im hoping its something easy to remedy. Does any one have any ideas on what goin on so I can get it fixed. My other option is if I have to do anything more than taking off the clutch cover or the fly wheel cover Im done for the summer im just gonna put some money together and turn it into a winter project and tear the motor completely apart. What do you guys think is the problem, or what do you think about taking it apart?

take the side cover off, if you put an aftermarket clutch you have to remove the cushings. check how the shifter is on the clutch side near the shift star make sure its well adjusted and aligned right with it. also check if you put the chain on LOL

take the side cover off, if you put an aftermarket clutch you have to remove the cushings. check how the shifter is on the clutch side near the shift star make sure its well adjusted and aligned right with it. also check if you put the chain on LOL

Haha I did all that... Idk it acts like it shifted and everything it seems normal it just wont move...idk if the shift forks are broken or what... but like i said if its not a simple fix im just gonna say the hell with it and tear it apart... and have a bunch of owrk done and put a bunch of aftermarket parts in it

Haha I did all that... Idk it acts like it shifted and everything it seems normal it just wont move...idk if the shift forks are broken or what... but like i said if its not a simple fix im just gonna say the hell with it and tear it apart... and have a bunch of owrk done and put a bunch of aftermarket parts in it

You asked before and I indicated a clutch issue. I still think you have one. If you can FEEL it go into gear, it is probably in gear. Do me this one, see if you can get any size of feeler gauge between any of your clutch plates. If you can move those plates at all with the clutch lever out, you have a problem. Do you have freeplay at the lever? They would always drag enough to grab a gear though. If you are firm that your clutch is fine, all you have to do is remove the clutch assy and turn the trans by hand while shifting it to ensure you have all 6 gears.

In all my days building banshees, I have NEVER seen a broke off shift fork. They are short and stout. I really doubt you have a trans problem, you have an assy problem.

Brandon

Edited by blowit

Large thrust washer behind the inner hub will cause some problems too if it is missing.

Brandon

ok... Yeah Ive tried a bunch of stuff and im pretty sure its the clutch too. Idk what it is though i think its just slipping alot... So I may just have to get a clutch disc set.

ok... Yeah Ive tried a bunch of stuff and im pretty sure its the clutch too. Idk what it is though i think its just slipping alot... So I may just have to get a clutch disc set.

NOPE! You should get some kind of action out of it If there is ANY fiber at all on the friction plates. Did you look at the pressure plate like I mentioned? It only works one way but will install 6 different ways. It MUST go over the inner hub spines or it will not put pressure on the plates. I have also had bikes that did not have enough plates in the stack and that will cause this too. Do like I say and test for plate tension or pressure. NO pressure, you go no where.

Brandon

No i didnt do anything like that. I think i need new discs and to adjust the clutch cuz I think its not closing all the way when the lever isnt pulled

You need to do a search for adjusting the clutch arm push rod and mic spec for the plates. I am just N O T one to throw parts at something unless it needs them. Unless the frictions are completely smooth, there is enough meat to grab and at least test ride. You can have all the lever free play in the world but if that clutch pushrod is out of adj too far, the lever on the top case will bottom out on the top of the case (very obvious by looking at it) and will not allow the clutch to engage.

Please search this site, grab a manual, or open the digital above and adjust it. This find would seriously take of 5min for an experienced builder too so it might save you some head ache to get some fresh eyes on it.

Brandon

You need to do a search for adjusting the clutch arm push rod and mic spec for the plates. I am just N O T one to throw parts at something unless it needs them. Unless the frictions are completely smooth, there is enough meat to grab and at least test ride. You can have all the lever free play in the world but if that clutch pushrod is out of adj too far, the lever on the top case will bottom out on the top of the case (very obvious by looking at it) and will not allow the clutch to engage.

Please search this site, grab a manual, or open the digital above and adjust it. This find would seriously take of 5min for an experienced builder too so it might save you some head ache to get some fresh eyes on it.

Brandon

thanks branden. I think i need to adjust the clutch like you were sayin I did it a little but the adjustment piece on the preasure plate may be a little off still. Also if i need another disc there I cant exactly just go to my local yamaha dealer and buy one plate so how would i get a hold of one?

You can purhase plates and discs individualy. I always order my parts and have them delivered. Are the cushions still in the clutch? I have never been able to use them in a stock clutch. They seem to cause a lot of drag which prevents the clutch from releasing enough to shift into gear. I run stock clutchs without the cushion rings. If anyone knows how to install the cushions and get the clutch to work let me know for curiosity. I tried what seemed like everything to make them work and the fix was to remove them.