Cheetah Porting

SLORYDER

Well, I took the banshee out to the dunes last weekend, and ren the damn thing out of fuel. So I tore it down to do a top end. While I had it apart, I noticed it has no portwork done. Man it is super powerful as is, so I can imagine what porting would do. Does anyone know of a someone that does porting on the cheetas? Prices?

Also, when I ran it dry, and I started it back up it had no power at all. I could not even take off in the sand. I've been told that the rings are fried, but I never did a compression test before I tore it down. The cylinder has minor scoring from the top of the exhaust port up, that you can barely feel with your finger. Do I need to bore and re nickasil? Also do I need to check anything else while its down?

Thanks for the imput. Marcus

If you're still impressed with the power, don't port it yet. Ride it.

Those are some of the top names in the field, there are plenty others as well.

What it boils down to is this, don't go for the cheapest price.

Go for whomever answers the phone or calls you back quickly, who takes the time to not only answer your questions BUT asks questions too, like your riding style, locale, etc. And see what the lead time is.

If a builder tells you a month, double that. They're busy, and just about every builder is the same way.

99% of the time it will not get done in the time frame they say it will. Just never happens.

You'll get on average 5 to 10 more HP out of a port, but it will probably narrow the effective RPM range a bit.

Ride it as is, the porting on these aftermarket cylinders isn't even close to how dramatic increase can be had with stockers.

The port layout is that good as casted from the factory.

Going from 35HP bone stock to 90 plus HP on stockers is not uncommon. You will NEVER see that kind of gain by porting an aftermarket cylinder... I'd say 5 to 15% at best is what you're gonna see.

Going from 35HP bone stock to 90 plus HP on stockers is not uncommon. You will NEVER see that kind of gain by porting an aftermarket cylinder... I'd say 5 to 15% at best is what you're gonna see.

i think your statement is a bit misleading. :geek:

i think your statement is a bit misleading. :geek:

How so? I'm not saying you can use all stock components on a set of OEM cylinders and go from 35 to 90.

You'd have to get pipes, carbs, intake, timing, methanol, compression and some REAL good porting....

But I don't think anyone running a cheetah is running stock carbs and pipes on it either....:)

I agree!!

The exotic port jobs (transfer holes and triple exhaust) and port size/timings done on stockers in the past are what drives the aftermarket cylinders to leave the shelf with....that's why they're so good.

Years spent refining the stockers, then come out of the mold that good....

Yeah, you're not going to notice as much difference after porting a cub, as you would with stock cylinders.

Just for clarify something for you too, the cubs don't get bored, they just get re-nikasiled (99% sure on that)

Very few people order the cubs or other CP cylinders with bare aluminium castings to put a cast iron sleeve in. Some do...but most are nikasiled.

There are pros and cons to each choice....

He's got a Cheetah...not a Cub. I know that Cubs are almost good to go out of the box, but are the Cheetahs?? I know mine has the transfers ported so much the the sleeve is extremely thin at the bottom of the cylinders..and the cases are tunnel ported. Mine has a light switch powerband, but it probably wouldn't with powervalves.

I don't see how Dave's comment was missleading at all. He's just saying there is a lot of room for improvement in the stock cylinders, not much room for improvement in the aftermarket ones. As for boring the nikasil cylinders, they sometimes do need bored if they are damaged beyond the plating.

He's got a Cheetah...not a Cub. I know that Cubs are almost good to go out of the box, but are the Cheetahs?? I know mine has the transfers ported so much the the sleeve is extremely thin at the bottom of the cylinders..and the cases are tunnel ported. Mine has a light switch powerband, but it probably wouldn't with powervalves.

i had mine ported also. the transfers on mine looked like they were hogged out pretty good

I don't see how Dave's comment was missleading at all. He's just saying there is a lot of room for improvement in the stock cylinders, not much room for improvement in the aftermarket ones. As for boring the nikasil cylinders, they sometimes do need bored if they are damaged beyond the plating.

well it was my opinion and i sounded a bit missleading to me.

yeah no shit, there's a lot to be gained in porting a set of stock cylinders.

anyone who has layed eyes on the port layout and transfer setup on a

set of cub cylinders can tell right off the bat by looking at them.

the point being you can still have these aftermarket cylinders ported and there

still is extra power to be gotten out of them. for someone that hasnt had very

much experience with the cheetah and cheetah cub cylinder they may not

be able to feel any difference between ported and off the shelf. to someone

that has had their bike on a track, they may gain a couple of tenths.

if he's got it apart and feels like waiting to have his cheetah ported, go ahead

and have it done. from my shopping experience it seems most of the builders

are charging 300 for porting.

Yeah, you're not going to notice as much difference after porting a cub, as you would with stock cylinders.

Just for clarify something for you too, the cubs don't get bored, they just get re-nikasiled (99% sure on that)

They do have to bore the nikasil out to put new in and smooth everything up plus if the cylinder is gouged very bad it gets bored out anyway... but the nikasil is ver iynpressive stuff and can be laid on thick.

We need to know what cheetah he has some our close some need a little attention but the smaller cheetahs are the same port timings as the cubs...

i had mine ported also. the transfers on mine looked like they were hogged out pretty good

well it was my opinion and i sounded a bit missleading to me.

yeah no shit, there's a lot to be gained in porting a set of stock cylinders.

anyone who has layed eyes on the port layout and transfer setup on a

set of cub cylinders can tell right off the bat by looking at them.

the point being you can still have these aftermarket cylinders ported and there

still is extra power to be gotten out of them. for someone that hasnt had very

much experience with the cheetah and cheetah cub cylinder they may not

be able to feel any difference between ported and off the shelf. to someone

that has had their bike on a track, they may gain a couple of tenths.

if he's got it apart and feels like waiting to have his cheetah ported, go ahead

and have it done. from my shopping experience it seems most of the builders

are charging 300 for porting.

Depending on what he has there is some power to be had by porting... by no means are you going to double the power like is possible in a stock cylinder but there is more power to be had but if done incorrectly porting can hurt more that it helps.