Dlink gamer routers

Never liked Dlink because off all the port forwarding and security stuff you have to pass and whatnot but once they work they are pretty nice routers. That thing looks like its got range too man, holy antenna. By the way just saw the safe thing in your sig, I got the Liberty Safe and damn its nice, you work for them or what?

I work for NW safe co in Washington. We are the #1 Liberty dealer in the Northwest.

I have a dlink di-624 and it seemed to work with just plugging it in when I bought it. I wanted something with a dedicated line for the xbox 360 so I bought this new gamer one.

Not trying to sound like a smart ass....but what are you hoping to gain/accomplish by using this?

It looks like all it does is give gaming the priority in your network when it's turned on. Any router with QOS (Quality of service) built in can do that....

Any good broadband router should have to be programmed with port forwarding and setup secure....

Again, not trying to sound like an ass...don't take it that way.

Why do you need to setup port forwarding on a router to game?

The only reason I can think of is if you are actually hosting a gaming server...is this the case?

If you have a PC based server, I could see it. I'd be surprised if a console had that capacity....

QOS would be easy to setup. Assign the Console a static IP outside the dynamic IP range given by default by the router, tell the router to assign priority to that statically assigned IP...

If the right ports arn't opened many games will not work. On PS3 and PC thats how it is, donno how 360 is but I'm sure its the same. Everyone hosts games on PS3, there are no dedicated servers unless YOU make it and leave your PS3 on (Need another one to play in your server). I don't see the point in getting a Gaming router either, I just use a regular microsoft wireless or cat5e.

Did not know that...very interesting, thank you!

I have to remember....these new generation consoles have hard drives in them as well....

I would bet any port forwarding, etc., would have to be still setup in the router. If they left ports open by default it would be a liability on their end. The main feature of this device is to easily give traffic priority for the gaming system...

Yes, some routers are harder to get through although even with port forwarding, thats what I'm saing about DLinks. They are always notorious for being a PITA to get them to work, but when they do they run good and stable.

The gamer routers wont break signal at all and prioritze the game line vs the rest of the internet being used in the house. I also needed some better wireless, so I wanted something with good range and I got a signal extender. I hooked up the new dlink modem this am, and can already tell the connection is working faster with the new cable modem in place. I am also going to be hosting the neighbors xbox wireless on my router cause he is too cheap to get high speed. We can also play head to head if he is on my network. It was just time to up date the 5 year old internet setup I had. I am already happy with just the cable modem I installed today.

I should have the router by tomorrow.

Edited by Snopczynski

I setup the new router last night. It kicks ass! No more lag on live, didn't get booted off when I first logged in, and best part is it automatically detects when I turn on the xbox and I get all the bandwidth I need in the house.

I setup the new router last night. It kicks ass! No more lag on live, didn't get booted off when I first logged in, and best part is it automatically detects when I turn on the xbox and I get all the bandwidth I need in the house.

thats cool how it prioritizes the bandwith, only problem with my house is that the laptop and the ps3 are the only thing on wireless the other computers are all connected through hubs via cat5. Seems like when someone else in the house is watchin movies or downloaded shit on their comps I do lag a bit, be cool to slow them down instead lol.

I'm sure the logic built into the router knows what ports the Game uses to communicate, and uses QOS accordingly.

My interpretation of the router is that when the gaming system is on, it gets priority vs. wireless OR Wired connections.

Again, I didn't delve into the white papers/tech specs on it too far....

I'm sure the logic built into the router knows what ports the Game uses to communicate, and uses QOS accordingly.

My interpretation of the router is that when the gaming system is on, it gets priority vs. wireless OR Wired connections.

Again, I didn't delve into the white papers/tech specs on it too far....

Yes.