CDI box

I think Ive narrowed my problem down to a CDI box being bad. How much do these go for? As stated in a previous post, I have pipes, reeds, main jets are 300s and kn oval filter. The bike runs good until it warms up in which case it will die if left to idle or if you give it gas it will bog out and die. I put in new plugs took the gas tank off and cleaned it and put in new fuel, the inside of the carbs and engine is immaculate. It runs really rich and the plugs are black and wet. Only thing I can think of is the cdi box is bad and when the engine heats up it puts the spark out. Any other opinions? I spoke wiht the dealer and he said a CDI box is 425 and labor is 79.95 an hour.

Do you guys think I should have the dealer diagnose it and fix it or is there another thing i may be over looking?

Definitely don't take it to the dealer!! If infact it's the CDI, you just unplug the old one and plug in the new one. Takes less than 5 minutes. BUT..that may not be your problem.

300 mains seems lean unless at high altitude with pipes/K&Ns, but that would have no effect on idle.

whats do you have done to you bike? porting, what kinda pipes? and what is you elevation if you somewhere around 1000 ft id say your rich as hell on the main and if its loading while it idling than your rich as hell on the pilot also...so you have stock carbs im taking it what position is the needle in and whats size is the pilot jet..also have you tried turning out the airscrews...dont buy a cdi until you have absoulutley nothing else to test for....give us some more info and we may be able to help

If you're sure the carbs are correct:

slides in the right carbs

float set correctly

choke tube in place

Then I'd agree...electrical.

You can ohm the stator, ohm the coil leads...and shake the flywheel to listen for broken magnets inside.

Issues like that when they warm up is normally an electrical problem.

Do the two cheap fixes first. Replace the spark plug lead end caps, they're known to go bad. And check the flywheel gap to pickup clearance....

I dont think it has anything to do with my carb setup because the person I bought it off of, who i know personally, Rode it with no problems the way it sits on those mains and all. However he said the last time he took it out was in the snow and it ran great and then he put it in his garage and it hasnt been moved in over 8 months.

I think some moisture got into something and fouled it out.

If it was a fuel/carb problem he would have been dealing with them when he was riding it.

Since then he has changed nothing.

I have prociruit pipes, boost bottle, br8es plugs gapped at ,030, v force reeds, and kn oval filter. The mains are 300s and my elevation is 56 feet.

If you're sure the carbs are correct:

slides in the right carbs

float set correctly

choke tube in place

Then I'd agree...electrical.

You can ohm the stator, ohm the coil leads...and shake the flywheel to listen for broken magnets inside.

Issues like that when they warm up is normally an electrical problem.

Do the two cheap fixes first. Replace the spark plug lead end caps, they're known to go bad. And check the flywheel gap to pickup clearance....

I had it all apart yesterday, slides are in right carbs, choke tube is in place and the floats are correct.

I have to agree that it is an electrical problem because its only once it warms up. when its cold itll rev until it blows up but once it get a little warm and u give it throttle itll bog down a bit then pick up in rpms, once it is fully warm itll either die idleing or if u throttle it, it will bog out and die.

ok..that just seems rich to me..but everybike is different..as stated before I'm at 700ft and ran my bike with a 260 main with basically the same mods except i had pt mids....now back on topic just do as Daj said test your stator,test your pickup,test your coil. If it were me i would get a cdi off a friend if possible and switch it over that way you don't waste money..if you do all this and it all checks out I'd look into the wiring itself..I've had to completely make a wiring harness from scratch because of the low gauge wiring on the stock shes will crack after it is so old..and will cause intermittant spark...Also the spark plug caps can go bad...good luck...

Josh

ok..that just seems rich to me..but everybike is different..as stated before I'm at 700ft and ran my bike with a 260 main with basically the same mods except i had pt mids....now back on topic just do as Daj said test your stator,test your pickup,test your coil. If it were me i would get a cdi off a friend if possible and switch it over that way you don't waste money..if you do all this and it all checks out I'd look into the wiring itself..I've had to completely make a wiring harness from scratch because of the low gauge wiring on the stock shes will crack after it is so old..and will cause intermittant spark...Also the spark plug caps can go bad...good luck...

Josh

Unfortunately I know of no one else in my area who has a banshee lol otherwise I would have just tested the box. I dont think the wiring will be bad as this bike was garage kept only, always cleaned after every ride and is only an 03.

So I will test the stator, pickup, and coil, and my plug caps. And go from there, wish me luck lol.