switch carbs?

has anyone, or does anyone recommend switching out my stock shee carbs for some 28mm flatslides? if i should get the flatslides, should i get the tmx's or tm's? i like mikuni's personally, so i'd like to get that brand of carb. i thought since flatslides have better throttle response and that they say the power band gets a little broader, that i would install them. i plan on getting my cylinders ported, so i thought the 28's would be a good route. I see some guys run 28mm round slides, but why stick with the round slides? any thoughts and opinions?

oh yeah, my mods are in my sig.

Edited by mopar1rules

has anyone, or does anyone recommend switching out my stock shee carbs for some 28mm flatslides? if i should get the flatslides, should i get the tmx's or tm's? i like mikuni's personally, so i'd like to get that brand of carb. i thought since flatslides have better throttle response and that they say the power band gets a little broader, that i would install them. i plan on getting my cylinders ported, so i thought the 28's would be a good route. I see some guys run 28mm round slides, but why stick with the round slides? any thoughts and opinions?

oh yeah, my mods are in my sig.

get the 28mm tm. I can give you jet specs to get it close. It should have pretty good throttle response and, maybe a little more power down low, and alot more power up top.

Your gonna need carbs, filters, throttle cable, needles, mains and pilot jets.

ok. so, the power jet is not needed for me? when would a guy need that, just when additional fuel is needed? what throttle cable will i need?

oh yeah, could i use my stock airbox w/uni-filter? probably better to use twin k&n pods for max airflow? just don't want to be cleaning the filters every hour.....you know.

Edited by mopar1rules

I am not sure that Mikuni makes at 28mm fS Tmx. I have many years with these carbs and some things that I have learned. The 28 FS Mikuni have a smaller OD on the input flange than the stock 26's. As a result when you tighten up your intake manifold clamp you will need to tighten a tad more, This will put xtra strain on the boot so you need to watch for cracks. You can go to a machine shop to have a sleeve made to press on and it works great.

The 28 FS will work with no problem with the airbox.

A FS carb has a stronger signal than a normal round side. From my experience they run leaner on the pilot jet side but much richer on the main jet side. For pilot jets, I run a 17.5 and 20 and 300, 340 mains on my full mod shee and RZ shee.

The 28's are also reasonably priced. You can get a new set for about $220.00, don't get screwed by paying alot more. You will also need to contact motion pro or a dealer for the right cable. Motion pro makes a specific cable for this set up.

Chris