option for sealing up exhaust

rtcc

Hey guys,

I just picked up a set of PT high revs, and they are the 92 editions. These pipes freakin rock, I love them so much.

My only complaint is that the flanges that fit on the cylinder heads dont have a place to set an oring. I dont know if its just the older design or what. I have some new orings but they are way to fat to fit under the pipes. My old FMF's actually had a groove for an oring to sit, Im sure most pipes do to. What is my options? I am going to see if the autoparts store carries any thinner orings in the same size that I might be able to squeeze under there.

Im only worried about this becuase they leak out quit a bit of exhuast and they are making a mess on my frame and stuff.

thanks for the help!

I like using the Permatex "Ultra Copper", it's a high temp silicone. Clean off the areas using brake cleaner (or whatever you prefer), spooge the silicone on, install pipes ( I also do the joint at the silencer), wipe off excess, then allow to dry for a day or two. Two days is better. You really want a good seal so your not sucking in oxygen, could make your bike run lean.

I like using the Permatex "Ultra Copper", it's a high temp silicone. Clean off the areas using brake cleaner (or whatever you prefer), spooge the silicone on, install pipes ( I also do the joint at the silencer), wipe off excess, then allow to dry for a day or two. Two days is better. You really want a good seal so your not sucking in oxygen, could make your bike run lean.

Awesome thanks man, thats what I needed to know was specifically what silicone people use. I will get some of that and seal it up!

Thanks man!

Any machinist should be able to cut you an Oring groove for pretty cheap.

Man, I was thinking about that as well but the metal there is pretty thin. I dont know if they could cut any out of it. I think they would just have to make a whole new flange and add the grooves then weld it on my pipe, but I dont think I need to do all that.

I better figure it out soon though cause they are going to powder coat this week!

thanks

I would call duncan and see if they will give you a set of the new flanges with the ring in them. Then you could have a welder weld them on. They probably understand the problem because my 99's have an o-ring in them.

I use sclicone when in putting on a pipe that dosent have an o-ring only way you can get them to seal.

yeah duncan will retorfit them for you...its pretty pricey though.. all they do is but the ends off your pipes and weld new ons on there...if you got a set of stock pipes or old pipes that you don't care to cut just cut both of them and have a "good" welder weld them back on, as this is exactly what duncan does.....