yfz450 race fuel

Washburn

My buddie just bought a yfz450 and the guy he bought it from said it needs atleast 104 octane. Now I havent gone over it or even heard it start up yet but question is, is he is running 94 and octane boost from auto zone. I told him it was a bad Idea but I would like to know what a few of you that can really get into the topic more. BTW I dont have any motor mod info on it besids it has a gibson full exhuast and it has head work.

I used the octane boost for a "fix" but that was only once.. i ran out of gas on the trail and was way out! had to bum some gas but the only problem was it was 87 octane and my compression was 158psi in each cylinder meaning 87 gas was really a bad idea but it turned out the guy had, I believe it was STP octane boost? so I dumped like 2 bottle in the 87 to get me back to the truck...The only way I would ever do this again was if it was absolutley necessary. My bike seemed sluggish and not as responsive. If the bike requires 104 octane then it needs 104 octane for a reason...if he doesnt want to pay the $6.00 for it then my only suggestion would be to detune it...

I would definitely run 104 or higher, the bad thing is that it costs an arm and a leg to run straight race gas unless your using it for mx or other short amounts of time. I was buying 110 Rocket brand at a local Citgo for $5.69 a gallon last year and it was getting expensive even though that is actually pretty cheap. I got gas at the same station the other day and the stuff was up to $6.69 in less than 6 months. 93 octane is expensive enough nowadays.

Yeah, see I know him too well to KNOW that hes not gonna pony up for the extra octane and he will stick with his octane boost theroy yet still want the preformance,unless I spend seriously an hour explaining this to him. He already thinks his is the better of the 2 (Mine compared to his) he hasent rode in almost a year and he damn sure hasent rode with all of my mods. But whatever . He will have excuses for loseing too.

My bet is 2 gallons of VP110 and 2 Gallons of 93. Thats safe its avabile to him from Buchanan Racing rite by us and it will make the most sence to his thick skull.

I would find out what year the bike is and the mods to it. The 06+ changed there compression. So you can run 92 octane with 13:1 compression.

Just tell him to run a compression test before he keeps using the fuel booster. I have never used that stuff before? Does it really save money?

I would find out what year the bike is and the mods to it. The 06+ changed there compression. So you can run 92 octane with 13:1 compression.

Just tell him to run a compression test before he keeps using the fuel booster. I have never used that stuff before? Does it really save money?

I thought 13:1 was pushing it for pump gas depending on your altitude. If I was close to see level I would run closer to 100 octane. Most stock 450's are closer to 12:1 from the factory. Definitely compression test that thing.

I thought 13:1 was pushing it for pump gas depending on your altitude. If I was close to see level I would run closer to 100 octane. Most stock 450's are closer to 12:1 from the factory. Definitely compression test that thing.

Yeah hes useing 104 octane boost good for 25 gallons stuff. I rode it and it is super fast. Thing is, is Im going to have to do a comp test behind his back for his own good cause hes a stouborn fool. Also a new steering stem cause of the block off will tremendously help. I have some old viper rears Im going to give him since he doesnt want to pony up for good rear tires. People like him and their Logic never fail to amaze me. Over 2k in motor mods and none on rear tires come on now.

04/05s you cant run pump gas at 13:1 compression. When you put a 13:1 on a 06/07 it changes the stock compression from 12:1 to 12.5:1 so it is safe to run on pump gas. So if you wanted 13:1 compression on a 06/07 I believe you have to go 13.5:1 piston to make it a true 13:1. I have a lot of buddies that have a 06+ that run the 13:1 piston and run race gas anyways. :thumbsup: