Sold my Ninja, time for a better Banshee

Okay, so I got the go ahead from my wife to start saving for porting, and such. I am not looking to be "King of the Hill" just a bit more power while still being reliable and not just running straight lines all of the time. What is a good place to start on a decent engine build? I know I will get the same " send it to a builder" and that's all great ( I will for my porting ) but being in the mechanics/automotive industry for 20+ yrs., I have the ability to build it, I just need some ideas on where to get good parts at a fair price and what is recommended for a middle of the road build?

I don't know how much money you want to spend but this is what I would go for:

You already have pipes that work great with ported cylinders, so:

- Get a CLYMERS Service manual, you would need that every day during the build

- Send your cylinders to D&M in Glandale and get the dune port on them

- Get a cool head with 19cc domes (race gas) or 20cc (pump gas) the smaller the domes the better the acceleration

- Get a good clutch kit, Barnett or EBC

- K&N Clamp on Filters so your engine can breath

- V Force 3 reed valves

Thats what I would consider the next step for your bike.

Edited by fun_on_the_sand

HMMMM sounds pretty good to me. Are the V-Force reeds really all that great? Reason I ask is I am still running stockers. I have the manual coming already and a cool head was on my list to get also. Thanks for the ideas. Anybody else?

Yes the V-force 3 are the best avalible, you can check that on the "Product review" forums.

I forgot to mention a +4" swing arm, you can get one for $350 that uses the stock bearing carrier. It is sold by Metal Tech, they are next door to D&M on Glendale.

Yes the V-force 3 are the best avalible, you can check that on the "Product review" forums.

I forgot to mention a +4" swing arm, you can get one for $350 that uses the stock bearing carrier. It is sold by Metal Tech, they are next door to D&M on Glendale.

I've heard very different things, and from several VERY reputable people (runnning dynos) who will remain nameless, that this is a waste of money. In fact, I've heard that stock reed cages with port work, or even VF2s, function even better than VF3s.