welding helmet

ohiobanshee

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you guys fab? I build steel stairs, handrails, ladders, gates, Structural steel etc for commercial buildings.

I have a few stick welders, three migs, a tig/heliarc, plasma cutter, oxy/acetylene torch setup. Several other fab tools. Uni-hydro iron worker, band saws, chop saws etc.

I do mostly vehicle related stuff. I have not ever done it for a living, I just pinch hit a few times when needed. Mostly I am a hobbyist. :geek:

Hobbyist also here. I do a little of everything it seems. Anything from bikes to roll cages to iron fences. Just ordered a miller Dynasty 350 tig runner package today. Cant wait to get it. Ive never welded aluminum before, so am looking forward to having that capability now. First project on the list. Im going to build a gas tank for the back of the bed of my pickup that will allow me to hook and unhook the fifth wheel without moving it. Wanting about 60 gallon capacity for the banshee race fuel. Need enough to feed 2 bikes for a week in the dunes. Im tired of all the jerry cans.

Hobbyist also here. I do a little of everything it seems. Anything from bikes to roll cages to iron fences. Just ordered a miller Dynasty 350 tig runner package today. Cant wait to get it. Ive never welded aluminum before, so am looking forward to having that capability now. First project on the list. Im going to build a gas tank for the back of the bed of my pickup that will allow me to hook and unhook the fifth wheel without moving it. Wanting about 60 gallon capacity for the banshee race fuel. Need enough to feed 2 bikes for a week in the dunes. Im tired of all the jerry cans.

I do Aluminum, stainless, brass at my shop. The first two arent really any harder than carbon if you have good fundemental welding skills. Its not easy but if you have the right equipment and gas its not as bad as alot of people make it out to be.

Good choice with Miller. Im a Miller fan. I have lincoln too but I really like the Millers. I have 2 Miller migs(250 power source setup for Aluminum, a 251 MIG) and a miller plasma cutter.

I do Aluminum, stainless, brass at my shop. The first two arent really any harder than carbon if you have good fundemental welding skills. Its not easy but if you have the right equipment and gas its not as bad as alot of people make it out to be.

Good choice with Miller. Im a Miller fan. I have lincoln too but I really like the Millers. I have 2 Miller migs(250 power source setup for Aluminum, a 251 MIG) and a miller plasma cutter.

Yeah, looking forward to playing with it. Also miller fan. currently have millermatic 210 mig machine and miller plasma cutter. right now have hobart power source but no high freq, thats why no aluminum, so the new dynasty will be replacing that.

Yeah, looking forward to playing with it. Also miller fan. currently have millermatic 210 mig machine and miller plasma cutter. right now have hobart power source but no high freq, thats why no aluminum, so the new dynasty will be replacing that.

Sounds like you have a sweet little "hobby" setup going. lol Heck you have as much as some shops do. I dig it.

What Plasma cutter did you get? I got the 375 Extreme. Severe duty is like 5/8" and its portable. I started to go with a bigger unit but this one seemed like the best option for my intended use. I bought it for building stainless handrail. Which is usually 1"1/4-1"1/2 ID with 3/16" wall thickness. It works great for my application.

You know what i cant even remember right now. will have to look when i get home. Its not one of their current machines. I've had it about 8 years. It is really big so not too portable. I belive it is rated to 5/8 aluminum if i remember correctly.. To be honest, i dont use it a whole lot. next on my list of toys is a break. I have a small shear, but that could use an upgrade too.

Now when it comes to Plasma Cutters, Thermal Dynamics is the shit. I have my own little side shop in my garage, I have my mig, tig, torches, ThermaDyn plasma, mandrel tube bender etc. I like the idea of knowing if anything breaks, I don't have to take it anywhere. I can pretty much do it all myself. I built my prerunner from the ground up. Metal work is my passion ( and my job too LOL )

You know what that sounds pretty cool, do you happen to know what the size of the ram is. I dont use it enough to justify their hydraulics, but if I could put something together for that kind of money, that would be way better than the ratchet system on their now. LOL

What do you guys fab? I build steel stairs, handrails, ladders, gates, Structural steel etc for commercial buildings.

I have a few stick welders, three migs, a tig/heliarc, plasma cutter, oxy/acetylene torch setup. Several other fab tools. Uni-hydro iron worker, band saws, chop saws etc.

we fab just about anything, really. industrial spec. stair cases, hand rails, saftey guarding, and heavy construction equipment like backhoe buckets, bob cat buckets, dorsey dump trailers, industial manufacturing machines, dollies , carts, so basically just about anything. which is nice cause it's always something different. Hopefully me and the boss are gonna go get tested for round pipe for live gas lines.

big money in that, but a little dangerous.. we've got cnc plasma's, hand plasma's , iron workers, mills, lathes, 100k presses, the usuall stuff. we do snow plow installations and repairs along with hydrolic repairs. sometimes we do fancy stair cases in 304, 316, or 6061... it just depends..

Edited by Smokin' Joe

i have a miller xlix and i love it. ive had the thing for 3 years now welding full time everyday, still works like new never had a problem . for those who dont know what it is, it was the lesser modle of the elite back then. im gunna buy a new lid soon enough and its gunna be the elite. even tho ive tried one and prefered my xlix over it. miller makes a great product and backs the warranty 100%. only thing borken on mine is my head strap clicker :beer: