My Powder Coating Projects

HotCarl

hey man, what size are the blast cabinets?? mine is big enough for a 18in rim or so.. i get my media here locally, 100lbs for 10 bucks

No cabinets, they are portable style and they held anywhere from 30 - 100lbs of media. Thats what I want to get to do bigger stuff like frames.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No cabinets, they are portable style and they held anywhere from 30 - 100lbs of media. Thats what I want to get to do bigger stuff like frames.

Oh, sorry, I built my cabinet. Much cheaper and you can build any size you want. Mine is 4' wide by 2' deep and 3' tall in the back, and 2.5' tall in front.

Sorry hotcarl if we are threadjackin ya!

oh, would be cool to have a booth you can use to reclaim the media, and contain the mess, just get a full body suit.. i have a 1200 sq ft. steel building out behind the house, its insulated, thinking of building a big oven and blasting room??HMMMMM??? :whistling:

oh, would be cool to have a booth you can use to reclaim the media, and contain the mess, just get a full body suit.. i have a 1200 sq ft. steel building out behind the house, its insulated, thinking of building a big oven and blasting room??HMMMMM??? :whistling:

hot damn now we are talking. If i had the room I would build a walkin oven and spray booth.

I've been thinking a of building a larger oven, but I would have to weather proof it and leave it outside. We have a couple of austin healey sprits that we are restoring, and I want to pc their frames, so the oven would be pretty big.

I've got a couple more parts that are getting close to be coated I'll post some pics when I'm done. I did a buddies valve covers for his nova, and they turned out great considiering the pieces of shit he gave me to work with.

Here is a piece I did to see what it would look like. It is columbia chrome with a transulcent candy blue on it. The pic doesn't show how deep it is. It looks like the blue anodized AN fittings. It was just a spare piece, so if anyone likes it let me know and you can have it cheap.

P2095148.jpg

The kick starter isn't forsale, it wasn't even finished yet. I put a coat of black chrome and a high gloss clear from columbia on it tonight. I did a hand full of other parts that I'll post later.

kickstarter.jpg

If someone could inform me on how to take a picture to show the depth of the black chrome, I'm all ears.

Finished a couple more pieces, I hope to get pics of this shit on my bike in a couple of days. The first pic is my other front hub (I droped it before it made it to the oven the first time, and just got around to re doing it) The second is of the dog bone that is going with the link I posted before. they still need to be cleaned up before they go on the bike, but you get the idea. After doing the transluecents over chrome this red is boring :blush:

fronthub.jpg

dogbone.jpg

after seeing that and thinking about all the rice rockets around town with faggy spraypaint rims, i thought to myself if ebay has some guns. so i bought one of the eastwood hotcoat dealys. nothin fancy but everyone needs to start somewhere..... i was gonna send my engine cases to the city to be coated..... at $248! fuck that they fit in an oven i should be able to PC everything besides a frame in a normal household oven! thanks for the wicked post and lighting a fire under my ass haha

nice work by the way!

Edited by inthemail

after seeing that and thinking about all the rice rockets around town with faggy spraypaint rims, i thought to myself if ebay has some guns. so i bought one of the eastwood hotcoat dealys. nothin fancy but everyone needs to start somewhere..... i was gonna send my engine cases to the city to be coated..... at $248! fuck that they fit in an oven i should be able to PC everything besides a frame in a normal household oven! thanks for the wicked post and lighting a fire under my ass haha

nice work by the way!

It is just like anything else, you'll buy the gun then a couple of hundred dollars is powders and some tape and plugs, then a sand blasting cabnet, then you build a spray booth, then you want a better gun and a better oven. I'm just letting you know you have offically started a new hobby. :evil: It is a lot of fun and when you do it for the first time you are like "WTF that was too easy, that might be easier then spray paint" :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

i actually forgot i posted here, but hey, at least i didnt pick up another usless hobby like scale model aircraft. its been dormant for about 2 years. gotta pipercub kit with an OS. its fun....

at least PC can go by way of my BMX hobby (and rake dough from buddies there) or my quad hobby (and rake MORE dough from all them! not to mention everyone has a sled here that needs custom coating..... :evil: