My Powder Coating Projects

HotCarl

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is my spray booth and oven, very hightech :biggrin:

P1305130.jpg

The spray booth is the best thing you can make if you are DIY person. It uses a house a/c filter and a shopvac to filter the air. It has made the whole process a lot easier and therefore a lot more fun.

Looks good man. Kind of gives it a nice dark blue look instead of the brighter blue but still maintains the sheen underneath. I like it.

I'm very pleased with it. It is about the same color as the yz blue, but is still very chrome like in it's apperance. It took me a couple of tries to find the right colors I was after, and now that I have found it I have a virgine 2002 banshee to do.

I'm very pleased with it. It is about the same color as the yz blue, but is still very chrome like in it's apperance. It took me a couple of tries to find the right colors I was after, and now that I have found it I have a virgine 2002 banshee to do.

Cool, I did a banshee frame last night and holly crap are they big. I've owned a banshee for years but you don't really realize how big they are until you have to find a way to hang it up high from a chain with one hand! You have to be heman to do it... I ended up tarping off my oven and coating it inside the oven then removing the tarp without touching the frame so I could bake it. whew that was crazy!

man. i have not been using a spray booth, no wonder i always have a mess to clean up!! lol. hey tate, what size oven did u say you had?? is it homemade? if os shoot me some tips, i need to make a bigger oven, and also how did u sandblast the frame? have a big sandblast cabinet??

Check out this forum, I put a bunch of info and pics for my oven: http://www.bansheehq.com/forums/index.php?...=89599&st=0

I actually don't use a booth right now either, I'm going to build a collapsable one this summer when I have a little extra money.

how do you sandblast frames though? also are you using the oven thermostat to control the heat? i am on the verge of making an oven.

I just found a bunch of sandblasters at harbor freight, they sell media too...and its all pretty cheap.

Good thread btw!

how do you sandblast frames though? also are you using the oven thermostat to control the heat? i am on the verge of making an oven.

I use the thermostat but the only real way to check temps is with an IR temp gun. You never want to go off of what temp the oven says, you go off of the temp that the part is.

I usually use my blast cabinet but its just a little too small for a banshee frame. The frame came to me blasted but the guy missed a bunch of spots so i had to take my pot blaster out on the driveway and waste a little bit of aluminum oxide but not too bad.

I'm not sure how you guys blast things but one thing you need to be very very careful of is playsand. I don't recommend using it! Silicosis is a VERY dangerous thing to be fucking around with. Just in case you didn't know...