Whatcha going to get

fastrthnu

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

get a mig with gas, stay away from the flux core and the tig. Don't get me wrong, I agree that TIG's are superior to MIG's but I don't think they are more suited to our hobby. A MIG is much more practial, 1\3rd the price and unless your building A-arms or something along those lines, a TIG is overkill for maintence on an ATV.

Anyways.....

Im buying heating oil with my return. Oh the excitement of buyin 600 dollars worth of heating oil :down: I'm movin south where I don't have to buy heating oil and I can ride my streetbike and quads all year long. Its fuckin' 9 degrees outside right now.

Edited by Meat

get a mig with gas, stay away from the flux core and the tig. Don't get me wrong, I agree that TIG's are superior to MIG's but I don't think they are more suited to our hobby. A MIG is much more practial, 1\3rd the price and unless your building A-arms or something along those lines, a TIG is overkill for maintence on an ATV.

Oh Meat. There is nothing wrong with flux core, except it's appearance. It gets better penetration for the dollar than any gassed setup. TIG is not overkill. It looks and performs better, it's more adaptable to exotic materials (alum, stainless, magnesium, etc), plus if you can get good at out of position TIG, you can weld anything, anywhere. ANYTHING.

But a MIG is more practical.

Anyways.....

I think I can see your point here: If you are buying a welder to fix the muddy ATV frame that you broke in half, then a MIG might make more sense. It would also make more sense if you are building boat trailers or have a dream of opening a muffler shop. :biggrin:

If you actually want to make an ATV frame from scratch........or anything from scratch for that matter, than a TIG is a better way to go.

Good idea, but if you have th cash go tig. You will never look back.

Which wirefeed you want?

Already have the miller syncrowave 200 tig. Not real sure on the new mig yet, something in the class of 220-240 volt setup with infinit settings. Whatever airgas will give me a deal on I'll probably buy it. I have a small mig ( 110 volt ) but would like the bigger unit to do car frames. Gonna start a rat rod project this summer so just trying to plan ahead for it. Still have my old lincoln buzz box to beat around with out side( arc ). I leave the good stuff hidden in the garage.

Edited by gipperz

Nice unit, how do you like it?

A real nice tig setup, I love it. All the bells and wistles you could ask for. I'm sold on Miller stuff even though I used to be a Lincoln guy. I've talked to alot of welders and what they tell me is the real difference is the color of the machine, I can't answer that to many variables. I got a way better deal on the miller then I could of with a Lincoln. Not to mention I have a few phone numbers to call at miller if I have problems and need some help trouble shooting. I even got to talk to a guy from miller that deals with the American Chopper guys. I thought that was pretty cool. gipperz

What Im going to get...

1. porting, maybe a dune port.

2. 4mil stroker crank.

3. Noss head with 19cc domes cut to fit a stroker crank.

4. Vforse 3 Reeds.

5. Toomey T-5 Pipes.

6. New seat cover.

And thats my list for 2008.

Chevshee

Edited by chevrolet banshee

What Im going to get...

1. porting, maybe a dune port.

2. 4mil stroker crank.

3. Noss head with 19cc domes cut to fit a stroker crank.

4. Vforse 3 Reeds.

5. Toomey T-5 Pipes.

6. New seat cover.

And thats my list for 2008.

Chevshee

I will make you a hell of a deal on a free spell check program........................ :biggrin:

In all fairness, one small mis-spelling............you've gotten alot better. :thumbsup:

I'm going to write a check and pay more taxes so:

1. I can contribute to offset the cost of Section 8 housing,

2. Pay for illegal aliens health care and education,

3. Pitch in to kill brown people that:

....A. Have not given their soul to jesus christ, a "savior" and,

....B. happen to live on top of long ago decayed plant materials that it is our right to take.

4. I can help those poor farmers and oil companies with their subsidies.

I hope they will at least fix that damn pothole on my street this year!! :blush:

i wish i could put mine into the shee, or my blazer, or a new cbr1000rr, but...

1. a new front porch for my house

2. a car port on the side of the house

3. finish my driveway around to the back of the house to my garage

4. a storage shed for my mower and other stuff to clean up my garage and basement

5. maybe a new sticker for the banshee, a really fast one too

damn, i'm gonna be in debt after this spring, not splurging with surplus $$. :ohmy: