Stock jetting....

Removing TORS will have no effect on jetting, I believe that for the K&N most would recomend to start about 4 sizes larger on the mains and adjusting the air screws. Its been a long time since i saw a stock bike, LOL but I believe they have 200 mains in them. So you may want to get some 240 mains in there and check the plugs.

Edited by rubberneck

Just a follow up, FWIW. Today, I installed K&N pods on my brothers bike and I had to go up 4 jet sizes from air box with UNI foam filter/no lid, to the Pods. I was really surprised because i figured with no lid, the UNI wouldn't flow that much less, but man the K&N's move some air.

• 2 weeks later...

Just another follow up, so people that are installing different mods can see the progression. I took my brothers bike which had the T5 kit. Pipes, uni replacement filter with box vents and jets/needles etc. We ditched the box and put on K&N pods with outerwears. We went to Pismo beach and it was about 60 degrees out. Started at 320 mains and turned the air bleeds to 1 turn out. Plug chop was too narrow and light. Went to 340 mains and found the best idle at 0.75 turns out on 25 pilots. So pretty sure mains and pilots are good for those conditions. Bike got a little sluggish in the 1/4 to 1/2 throttle range and a little slow to come up on the powerband, so I'm going to change the clip to the 3rd position from the blunt end on the Toomey needles and I think we will be rockin. So just as a recap, I ended up having to go 6 sizes larger on the mains, and drop the needle 1 position to compensate for the addition of the K&Ns. I never in a million years would have guessed you would have to add that much fuel for air cleaners.

Just another follow up, so people that are installing different mods can see the progression. I took my brothers bike which had the T5 kit. Pipes, uni replacement filter with box vents and jets/needles etc. We ditched the box and put on K&N pods with outerwears. We went to Pismo beach and it was about 60 degrees out. Started at 320 mains and turned the air bleeds to 1 turn out. Plug chop was too narrow and light. Went to 340 mains and found the best idle at 0.75 turns out on 25 pilots. So pretty sure mains and pilots are good for those conditions. Bike got a little sluggish in the 1/4 to 1/2 throttle range and a little slow to come up on the powerband, so I'm going to change the clip to the 3rd position from the blunt end on the Toomey needles and I think we will be rockin. So just as a recap, I ended up having to go 6 sizes larger on the mains, and drop the needle 1 position to compensate for the addition of the K&Ns. I never in a million years would have guessed you would have to add that much fuel for air cleaners.

Hey man just wondering if you could help me out too. I got a 06 with FMF Gnarly exhaust w/ turbine core 2 silencers. It was bogging down and then fouled the left cylinder plug. I changed plugs and put a toomey air filter and outerwear (no air box) on it. It runs good but wants too bog when you are not getting into it hard. I got the whole system with a jet kit that came from washington state and I am in North Carolina. I am not sure if that jetting will work here (sea level, maybe a little above, 32 degrees at lowest). I've got to find out the exact specs on the jet kit but just from that info do you have any suggestions of what I need to run as far as jets and is that the reason it is bogging? Thanks

Mine got "sluggish" with the toomey needles but I didn't get to do any adjustments since I have tore the motor down for winter rebuild. Let me know if you get it tuned with those toomey needles or decide to go back to stock needles...

I will let you know, I have not had a chance to ride the bike since dropping the needles a click. I do not have a set of stock needles as the bike came with the Toomey stuff installed, but if I cant fix the midrange I might pick a set of stockers up and try them. I will report back.

Hey man just wondering if you could help me out too. I got a 06 with FMF Gnarly exhaust w/ turbine core 2 silencers. It was bogging down and then fouled the left cylinder plug. I changed plugs and put a toomey air filter and outerwear (no air box) on it. It runs good but wants too bog when you are not getting into it hard. I got the whole system with a jet kit that came from washington state and I am in North Carolina. I am not sure if that jetting will work here (sea level, maybe a little above, 32 degrees at lowest). I've got to find out the exact specs on the jet kit but just from that info do you have any suggestions of what I need to run as far as jets and is that the reason it is bogging? Thanks

Well, It kind of depends, we need a little more info. I dont know if I can describe this, but I'll try. If it is kind of a gurgly bogging hesitation, then it is probably rich. When mine was lean, it would snap and pop, and fell on its face really hard. You need to be carefull though, in my experience with these things, they will run really well about 2-3 jet sizes too lean, so you need to check your plugs. Get your idle as good as you can with the air bleeds and check to see how many turns out they are. Then do a full throttle plug chop to get the mains dialed in. then you can start horsing with the needle to bring it all together. Takes some time, but not really that bad. Also what throttle postion is the hesitation? if it is in the 1/4 -3/4 throttle range, a needle adjustment may fix the problem.

Well, It kind of depends, we need a little more info. I dont know if I can describe this, but I'll try. If it is kind of a gurgly bogging hesitation, then it is probably rich. When mine was lean, it would snap and pop, and fell on its face really hard. You need to be carefull though, in my experience with these things, they will run really well about 2-3 jet sizes too lean, so you need to check your plugs. Get your idle as good as you can with the air bleeds and check to see how many turns out they are. Then do a full throttle plug chop to get the mains dialed in. then you can start horsing with the needle to bring it all together. Takes some time, but not really that bad. Also what throttle postion is the hesitation? if it is in the 1/4 -3/4 throttle range, a needle adjustment may fix the problem.

Well I hopped on it today and the bog has gotten worse. It was bogging about 1/4 throttle, now it does that plus when you get on it full throttle. It does ok at about 3/4 throttle. It didn't do that until I put the filter on it.

Well I hopped on it today and the bog has gotten worse. It was bogging about 1/4 throttle, now it does that plus when you get on it full throttle. It does ok at about 3/4 throttle. It didn't do that until I put the filter on it.

Ok, if this problem started with the additon of a higher flowing filter, then you are most likely lean. Pull the jets and find out exactly what you have in there and report back here. Chances are somebody has your exact setup and can give you guidance.