Klunk - Klunk

Dgrey

I have a +4 swing arm. I know that I installed it correctly. There is a klunk sound that comes when I grab the rear grab bar and shake the bike to the right and left. Its coming from the "dog bone" that droops down, the shock connect to and then connects to the swing arm. Its where the actual dog bone connects top the frame. I have never touched that bolt and the bike is a 2005. Is this normal "play" that is supposed to be in the suspension or not?

I have a +4 swing arm. I know that I installed it correctly. There is a klunk sound that comes when I grab the rear grab bar and shake the bike to the right and left. Its coming from the "dog bone" that droops down, the shock connect to and then connects to the swing arm. Its where the actual dog bone connects top the frame. I have never touched that bolt and the bike is a 2005. Is this normal "play" that is supposed to be in the suspension or not?

No there shouldn't be any play there. I just rebuilt the shock linkage on both my brothers and my banshees for the same reason. There are 2 bushings in the arm or "cradle" at that fronT mount that wear out. You can buy rebuilt kits from rockymountain to replace all the bushings & pins in the whole linkage, or you can get the bushings from cascade (or dealer) individually. Pull it apart first and take a look at the pin that the bolt goes through and see if there is any grooves on it. This is the part that actually rides against the bushings in that cradle. On both my bikes the pin was good, but the bushings were worn, so i just replaced the bushings (about $4 each) and seals ($3 each) and everything was nice and tight again. If you are going to do the whole linkage, you need 2 cradle bushings and 2 seals for that front bolt, and you will need 4 bushings that go in the "link" (2 at each end) Basically there are 2 buhsings at each pivot point. If the bushings and pins are all worn out, it is probably cheaper to buy the whole kit from rockymountain than to piece it together. Like I said, all the pins in my bike were good, so I just bought the bushings and seals. Take a look and see if there is any play in the top and bottom shock bearings while you are in there. I had to replace those as well. 35 bucks from rm. Check out cascade's websight and go the "genuine yamaha parts" section. Look under "cradle and link" parts and you will see the parts.

Forgot to add, the job is super easy if you have a press. I use an arbor press and bushing driver to press out the old bushings and install the new ones. You could probably have a machine shop do if for you for cheap if you dont have access to a press... It only took me about 10 min to press out all the old bushings and install the new ones in both bikes linkages once i had it all apart. The bushings are of a split design, so if you cant get anybody to press it, you may be able to use a chisel to carefully collapse the old bushings and knock them out, and then carefully tap the new ones in with a block of wood. Hope this helps

No there shouldn't be any play there. I just rebuilt the shock linkage on both my brothers and my banshees for the same reason. There are 2 bushings in the arm or "cradle" at that fronT mount that wear out. You can buy rebuilt kits from rockymountain to replace all the bushings & pins in the whole linkage, or you can get the bushings from cascade (or dealer) individually. Pull it apart first and take a look at the pin that the bolt goes through and see if there is any grooves on it. This is the part that actually rides against the bushings in that cradle. On both my bikes the pin was good, but the bushings were worn, so i just replaced the bushings (about $4 each) and seals ($3 each) and everything was nice and tight again. If you are going to do the whole linkage, you need 2 cradle bushings and 2 seals for that front bolt, and you will need 4 bushings that go in the "link" (2 at each end) Basically there are 2 buhsings at each pivot point. If the bushings and pins are all worn out, it is probably cheaper to buy the whole kit from rockymountain than to piece it together. Like I said, all the pins in my bike were good, so I just bought the bushings and seals. Take a look and see if there is any play in the top and bottom shock bearings while you are in there. I had to replace those as well. 35 bucks from rm. Check out cascade's websight and go the "genuine yamaha parts" section. Look under "cradle and link" parts and you will see the parts.

I ordered the ALL BALLS kit for the upper and lower from Rocky Mountain. I hope its better than stock there were like 8 reviewes on it and they said its better. If it not, to late! =) Thanks for the advice. Sucks that these seals and crap are already worn and the bike is only an 05.