2 into 1 jetting for a 38mm airstriker

RIPRuck

Hey guys.. I just finished my build this past weekend and did a few heat cycles and slow runs for the break-in. Today I went to start it, pulled the choke up (temps 45 deg) and kicked it over with the first kick and it started revving high! I shut it down, put the choke down/off and kicked it and it started right up and idled the way it should. Motor has a fresh top end with port and wanted to know if I should be worried about the motor revving out while being cold? Here's the list of motor mods..

NOSS head w/20cc domes

aggressive trail port

vforce 3 reeds

trinity 2 into 1 intake

38mm airstriker carb

DMC 916 exhaust

93 octane mixed 32:1 w/bel ray

195 main

52 pilot

2 turns out

sea level

I'm thinking I should be at a smaller pilot seeing that I have a slight bog at take off. I turned the air screw out to 2.5 turns out and it helped a little but think thats too high. Would the too large of a pilot cause it to rev higher when the choke is being used? When I pull the choke up while the bike is idleing it starts to rev higher.

The huge problem with everyone that asks for jetting help on these 2 into 1 setups is no one provides thew info on the needle. The needle by far is the most important part of getting one of these setups to run right. So I need to know what needle you have in it, and where your clip position is at.

Off hand if you pull the choke and the bike pins, it has to be getting air from somehwhere besides the slide. Cause its got to have air and fuel to rev up like that.

Its too lean 1/4-3/4 throttle according to the needle chart I usually use. You can try dropping the pilot jet down to like a 48 and see what it does for you. That needle your running is leaner than even a dek though. Here is a chart for you too reference.

Sudco needle chart

The 38mm air striker is new ground though, so anything is possible. Try squeezing the pilot down a scoche and see if there is a difference. Dont wing that thing out too much though until you know the needle is the right size.

Forgot to mention with the above mods I'm running +4 timing.. Going to order a couple of pilots, needles and mains today to have something to work with. Anyone else have any experience with the airstriker carbs? Thanks for your help Snop, i'll go down to a 50 or 48 pilot and try it out. Going from stock carbs to this airstriker is a totally new beast..

Edited by RIPRuck

One adjustment at a time, start with the main jet, then needle, then pilot jet and air screw. I usually do 2 wide open runs and check the plug color. Plug chops are a waste of time and money if you know what to look for feeling wise, and color wise on the plug.