Banshee Clutch or Oil issues

Eric_ Maff

Hi

On my last attempt to ride, my 04 Banshee started great & reved no problems - I clutched and shifted to first gear no prob but when I released clutch, the engine died no matter how fast or slow the clutch released. I repeated several times and could not manage to advance 2 feet before engine died out - I could only keep trying if I revved alot but still not advance. ( FYI: temperature was 2 C that day) Next day - upon disasembling clutch case, the clutch friction & metal plates are all to spec and nothing is broken in the system including gear, shift system, clutch cable, adjustments... The engine has no issues, starts perfect and revs perfect - fresh rebuild 2 months ago..no brake drag or any other interference..

The only thing I can see was I had used 5W40 Penzoil Auto oil which I now know was no good but even when I flushed and replaced by ATV oil or ( AutoTransmission Type: F oil ) the same thing happened.

I did notice that the oil was super light and grey color - strange.

I have been riding every week since my last rebuild with no problems until that 2 C day!

Where should I look: was it the temperature, clutch, or oil that caused this issue or could it be something else?

I have not retested the Banshee since opening clutch cover awaiting advice

Thanks in advance for any help

Eric

Couple things.... will it shift through all the gears just sitting there not running? If not, you could have a tranny problem. Also, you said the oil turned grey, you have a leak and coolant is getting in the oil. Coolant getting in the oil makes it grey colored.

Couple things.... will it shift through all the gears just sitting there not running? If not, you could have a tranny problem. Also, you said the oil turned grey, you have a leak and coolant is getting in the oil. Coolant getting in the oil makes it grey colored.

Thanks for quick reply. I will verify the shifting but I think thats OK. I had some doubts about the coolant so I was already changing the impeller/bearing/seal..

Any other places the coolant could leak into the clutch case? Can a leak in the head end up in the clutch case oil?

If the coolant leak was at fault 100% - would that explain why it would not engage forward and die upon release of clutch no matter how much gas revved?

Thanks!

Eric

The coolant didnt cause the reving problem, just the grey oil. Check the tube that goes into the top of the clutch cover, of the o-ring is bad it will leak coolant in the case. I am still leaning towards a tranny problem for the other deal you are having.

The coolant didnt cause the reving problem, just the grey oil. Check the tube that goes into the top of the clutch cover, of the o-ring is bad it will leak coolant in the case. I am still leaning towards a tranny problem for the other deal you are having.

Ok, for the coolant, I am changing the O-Ring and seal /bearing for impeller same time. I verifyed the transmission like you said and it does shift through all gears like normal (off, not running)

Also, when I did have this problem for the first time, I never heard any gear noises or anything which would bring attention to the tranny - where do I go from here?

Thanks in advance

Eric

Do you have a clymer manual? If so, take the clutch apart, all the way from the outer hub till you hit the engine case.... Take it all off, and make sure you have everything in there that the clymer shows. That will eleminate if you were missing a part.

Are the clutch fibers melted, or the steels black from heat? I cant figure out of the clutch is slipping so the bike wont move, then dying or if something is bound up. Just check, double check and triple check all the clutch parts to see if something is messed up there. Then, put it back toether, make sure the clutch is releasing all they way when the handle is out and see what it does. Its a pain, but man, I am kinda stumped.

Do you have a clymer manual? If so, take the clutch apart, all the way from the outer hub till you hit the engine case.... Take it all off, and make sure you have everything in there that the clymer shows. That will eleminate if you were missing a part.

Are the clutch fibers melted, or the steels black from heat? I cant figure out of the clutch is slipping so the bike wont move, then dying or if something is bound up. Just check, double check and triple check all the clutch parts to see if something is messed up there. Then, put it back toether, make sure the clutch is releasing all they way when the handle is out and see what it does. Its a pain, but man, I am kinda stumped.

I do have the Clymer or Banshee BIBLE. I will check all you mentionned.

Thanks theshee

with your clutch apart just as shown in the last photo, can you turn the inner hub and clutch basket seperately...in oposite directions? both should move freely of eachother.