Need Carb Help

Buggle_96

I just installed my Toomey 2:1 intake. :cool: This is a new bike to me so I decided to check the jetting. I pull the bowl off one of the carbs, took out the main, its a 270...ok good. I go to put the main jet back in and it seems like the jet is not tall enough. I finally get it to thread but something is wrong. What looks like the brass peice where the main seats actually moved into the throat of the carb and rides on the needle. It will go up and down probably 1/4" inch and will not stay in position. :blink: What did I do wrong and how can I fix this? I thought I would ask here first before tearing into the carb, please help. Even if I just push it down it will work itself back up, high enough that the main does not sit low enough to get any fuel.

Thanks!

Hmm...

I removed the TORS on a buddies carbs, that popped out. I just pushed it back down...screwed the main in...and no problems. Make sure the seating surface/seat is clean.

You might have to "scuff" the brass where it sits and seat it with firm pressure...but since the needle slides easily in and out of that dump tube, I don't see it pulling it back out.

Are you using the splash guards that the main jets goes through? (The little clear plastic piece)

I'd try scuffing the dump tube a bit, rough it up...and seat it firmly...see if that helps.

Hmm...

I removed the TORS on a buddies carbs, that popped out. I just pushed it back down...screwed the main in...and no problems. Make sure the seating surface/seat is clean.

You might have to "scuff" the brass where it sits and seat it with firm pressure...but since the needle slides easily in and out of that dump tube, I don't see it pulling it back out.

Are you using the splash guards that the main jets goes through? (The little clear plastic piece)

I'd try scuffing the dump tube a bit, rough it up...and seat it firmly...see if that helps.

Thanks I will try it and maybe it just needs a real firm push down. That was my biggest concern is if there was even a screw that is missing to hold it in, apparently it just sits there. And yes I am using the splash guard.

Thanks I will try it and maybe it just needs a real firm push down. That was my biggest concern is if there was even a screw that is missing to hold it in, apparently it just sits there. And yes I am using the splash guard.

Thats the needle jet I think they call it..? Ive had that a happen years ago to my stockers. Seems like it'll just screw back into place.