Trinity 2 into 1 carb setup

98Sheenut

Hi All,

I'm currently babysitting my friends worked Banshee while he is on a military deployment. It has a trinity 2 into 1 carb setup which is rather nice....however, the thing idles sooooo low.....well below manual spec. The threaded cable end holder on the top of the carb is at it's max. The adjustment at the thumb throttle is correct for lever play.... Is there another way to adjust the idle on this setup? Could the cable be so stretched that no other adjustments can be made?

Also, the clutch is dragging. When you put it in first, sitting still, holding the clutch lever in, and rev it, the quad will lurch forward..combined with the LOW idle, it will stall.....hard as hell to get neutral too. But that's another topic. When riding, there are no clutch issues at all.....just at idle when it lurches.

Thanks guys,

Sulli

The cable sounds like it is the wrong one, they dont usually stretch.

If the clutch lever freeplay is correct, the trans has a good 2 stroke trans oil in it, and the clutch case lever arrow lines up just when the lever gets the freeplay out, then the clutch issue is normal.

actually, on some 2-1 carb setups, there's a low idle issue. I've experienced it in probably 30% of the 2-1 carb setups I've worked with. it has to do with low rpm vacuum and the idle screw adjustment. trying to remember what I used to do to fix it... something about using a longer screw or something, can't quite remember. i'll think about it.

Hi All,

I'm currently babysitting my friends worked Banshee while he is on a military deployment. It has a trinity 2 into 1 carb setup which is rather nice....however, the thing idles sooooo low.....well below manual spec. The threaded cable end holder on the top of the carb is at it's max. The adjustment at the thumb throttle is correct for lever play.... Is there another way to adjust the idle on this setup? Could the cable be so stretched that no other adjustments can be made?

Also, the clutch is dragging. When you put it in first, sitting still, holding the clutch lever in, and rev it, the quad will lurch forward..combined with the LOW idle, it will stall.....hard as hell to get neutral too. But that's another topic. When riding, there are no clutch issues at all.....just at idle when it lurches.

Thanks guys,

Sulli

What pilot jet is in it? How many turns out is the air screw?

To adjust the idle there is a black screw on the left hand side of the bike when your sitting on it. Turn that screw in to raise the idle and loosen it to lower the idle. Dont attempt to adjust it until the bike has warmed up, and idling to its normal idle. I would start with a high idle and the work my way out till I get it right where I want it.

maybe i was mistaken. i assumed that you had tried idle adj. and were still having problems. if you haven't tried the idle adjustment on the side of the carb then yea, that needs to be adjusted. it is common to have problems with the idle speed on some 2-1 carbs due to the lack of vacuum and it'll idle slow slow and almost want to stall. and in some cases, you can bury that idle screw and it won't raise the idle any.

but, yea try the idle screw. :biggrin:

maybe i was mistaken. i assumed that you had tried idle adj. and were still having problems. if you haven't tried the idle adjustment on the side of the carb then yea, that needs to be adjusted. it is common to have problems with the idle speed on some 2-1 carbs due to the lack of vacuum and it'll idle slow slow and almost want to stall. and in some cases, you can bury that idle screw and it won't raise the idle any.

but, yea try the idle screw. :biggrin:

I found the idle screw you were talking about....I didn't see it at first because it's tucked way up high on a slight angle. I burried the screw and it did raise the idle just enough....no longer lumpy like a cammed 4 stroke. I can understand the idle issue with this setup....that screw does seem to be a little short.

Thanks for all the help guys...!! Much appreciated.

What pilot jet is in it? How many turns out is the air screw?

Snop, I'm trying to get that info from my buddy. His motor builder is in Minnesota and he's currently on military deployment in Columbia so the info is coming slowly. I can tell you this, it's jetted and set up a bit rich with a 40:1 mixture.

Snop, I'm trying to get that info from my buddy. His motor builder is in Minnesota and he's currently on military deployment in Columbia so the info is coming slowly. I can tell you this, it's jetted and set up a bit rich with a 40:1 mixture.

Pull the carb off and look.

I found the idle screw you were talking about....I didn't see it at first because it's tucked way up high on a slight angle. I burried the screw and it did raise the idle just enough....no longer lumpy like a cammed 4 stroke. I can understand the idle issue with this setup....that screw does seem to be a little short.

Thanks for all the help guys...!! Much appreciated.

glad I was able to help some. the vacuum or lack of, in that carb doesn't quite pull enough fuel through at idle, that's why its so hard to get it raised. i remember what we were doing now. the idle screw has a spring inside of it. you can pull the idle screw all the way out then take off the spring and like cut it in half or cut some of the coils off and it'll let you screw it in deeper. you can try that if you need more. the screw is plastic usually which is bs.

glad I was able to help some. the vacuum or lack of, in that carb doesn't quite pull enough fuel through at idle, that's why its so hard to get it raised. i remember what we were doing now. the idle screw has a spring inside of it. you can pull the idle screw all the way out then take off the spring and like cut it in half or cut some of the coils off and it'll let you screw it in deeper. you can try that if you need more. the screw is plastic usually which is bs.

Hey S,

Thanks for the spring tip. Two coils off that spring will get me right where I want to be. Very kewl..

While I agree a plastic screw is BS, in a carb. instance, it my beneficial. If someone were to seat if to far, they wouldn't do any damage to the slide by gouging.