Just got a banshee very hard to start

I just bought a 03 banshee a couple days ago, and it is very hard to start. It acts like no fuel gets to the engine while cranking. I usually have to pull a plug and shoot ether in the cylinder then quickly reinstall the plug before it will start. Once it is going though it runs fine.

It has a lot done to it but i am unsure of what all it has, i know the engine has v-force 3 reeds, proflo 2into 1 filter tube, pro design cool head dyna fs cdi box with some adjustable timing curve selector, and it has cpi racing in frame drag pipes. there may be more but i dont know much else other than what i can see on it.

any help is appreciated

You may want to clean the carbs. I may be that someone switched the fuel bowl around. Make sure the fuel bowl with the fuel enrichment jet is on the left carb. If that has happened, the choke will have no effect.

I agree. Check the carbs. They could just need cleaning or they may need a little more work, but cleaning usually helps. Another thing is to make sure the tube that connects the to carbs is securely in place.

Also, is the climate in your area different than where you bought it from? If the elevation and temp are different your jetting could be way off.

bought it local so elevation is the came, it has a boost bottle between the carbs, i think maybe the gas is bad i got it out this morning and tried to just squirt a little of the fuel in the tank into the cylinder and it wouldnt light but took a little straight new gas and it fired up, i willl prolly clean the carbs out a bit and put new gas in it. Is it ok to change oils or is it recommended to run the same oil in the gas until a rebuild??

thanks

bought it local so elevation is the came, it has a boost bottle between the carbs, i think maybe the gas is bad i got it out this morning and tried to just squirt a little of the fuel in the tank into the cylinder and it wouldnt light but took a little straight new gas and it fired up, i willl prolly clean the carbs out a bit and put new gas in it. Is it ok to change oils or is it recommended to run the same oil in the gas until a rebuild??

thanks

It's okay to change premix oils, I just wouldn't mix 2 different types in the same tank of gas.

the plugs are ngk r's bpr8es i took it out and ran it today i found out that when it stalls or i kill it it is fairly easy to restart if i pump the gas like 20 times before i kick it usually if i did that it would start 1-3 kicks i figure it has got to be a metering problem with the starting circuit but i broke the chain today it was way too tight from the guy i bought it from can anyone tell me the stock link # the chain i have is 52 including the master but i think it might have been too short it does have taller sprockets

the plugs are ngk r's bpr8es i took it out and ran it today i found out that when it stalls or i kill it it is fairly easy to restart if i pump the gas like 20 times before i kick it usually if i did that it would start 1-3 kicks i figure it has got to be a metering problem with the starting circuit but i broke the chain today it was way too tight from the guy i bought it from can anyone tell me the stock link # the chain i have is 52 including the master but i think it might have been too short it does have taller sprockets

Not to be an ass, but you do realize that "pumping" the gas when the bike is not running does nothing for you? These aren't like car carburetors that have an accelerator pump that actually pumps fuel when moving the pedal. All you're doing when you "pump" the thottle is exercising your thumb. If it is hard to start you could have a pilot issue, plugged maybe, but you should also have an idle issue, being that it shouldn't want to idle if it has a plugged pilot. Common things, some of which have been mentioned are, float bowls switched, choke tube missing or cracked, slides in backwards, low compression leads to hard starting when engine is cold...

Not to be an ass, but you do realize that "pumping" the gas when the bike is not running does nothing for you? These aren't like car carburetors that have an accelerator pump that actually pumps fuel when moving the pedal. All you're doing when you "pump" the thottle is exercising your thumb. If it is hard to start you could have a pilot issue, plugged maybe, but you should also have an idle issue, being that it shouldn't want to idle if it has a plugged pilot. Common things, some of which have been mentioned are, float bowls switched, choke tube missing or cracked, slides in backwards, low compression leads to hard starting when engine is cold...

low compression makes for a hard start but ot also wont idle. Because of slow piston travel you get to much blow by and run to rich. so if its hrd to start and idles,. its not compression.

i also said that i checked the compression, its fine. I will try to clean the carbs this week and run it this weekend to see how it does. One thing i did notice is that the kickstarter doesnt engage at the top of the travel it only gets like the last 3/8 of the kick. Maybe it just isnt getting enough crank speed to start. i will have time tomorrow to tear into it and look more closely at some of the problems, but thanks for all the ideas so far.

Andrew