***Builders or DY'ers***

Hey everyone,

I just picked up some new carbide burrs, but I had some questions before I start grinding. Do you guys do more of your work with 1/4" or 1/8" burrs. I picked up some long and short shank 1/4" carbide, but the heads seem to like they would be too big to do much work. I also, picked up quite a few (about a dozen different profiles in a few different size heads) 1/8" burrs. They seem like the only thing that would work in the transfers and obviously the only ones that will work with my No 1MC. It looks like it will be mostly 1/8" work, but maybe some 1/4" in the intake area. What is anyone's preference or experience? Thanks!

This probably won't help you, but I''l post it any way.

When doing port work on stock Banshee cylinders, my weapons of choice for finishing operations are a 4mm dia. ball endmill, a 4mm diameter bull endmill, and a .125" dia. lollypop endmill. All of the tooling is made of TiAln coated K30 carbide. The reason I say the info might not be useful to you is that I do my porting on a 5-axis CNC mill.

For doing the cylinder block of my own design, I am using quite a few more tools of similair style and dimension. :geek:

No problem, it's a start at least. I remember you posting somewhere that you used the 5-axis for your porting. My 1/8" carbide is TiAln coated as well. Like I said, just looking at it, it appears that it will be mostly 1/8" tooling work. The only exception to that would appear to be the intake and potentially the exhaust. The transfers look like 1/8" only. Thanks, hopefully there will be more input to come...

When I started I used 1/8 all the time. As you get more comfortable with the feel of it you will go bigger. Some places are limited on size. I use 1/4 in the transfer tunnels of the banshees. I use 1/2 in the intake and exhaust. I don't finish with these sizes in either place. When you need to remove a lot of material use the biggest bit you can. The bit stays cooler and works faster. My favorite but least used are the single cut aluma hog bits. I don't have any shots of the bits I use but some shots of the work I do in my sig.

No problem, it's a start at least. I remember you posting somewhere that you used the 5-axis for your porting. My 1/8" carbide is TiAln coated as well. Like I said, just looking at it, it appears that it will be mostly 1/8" tooling work. The only exception to that would appear to be the intake and potentially the exhaust. The transfers look like 1/8" only. Thanks, hopefully there will be more input to come...

To reinforce what I said earlier, I use the 4mm and .125" tool for finishing only. I go after the intake and exhaust with endmills that are around .5" in dia. to rough the areas out. The largest tool that I can get away with in the transfers is 8mm in dia. This is all in respect to stock cylinders of course. :thumbsup:

To reinforce what I said earlier, I use the 4mm and .125" tool for finishing only. I go after the intake and exhaust with endmills that are around .5" in dia. to rough the areas out. The largest tool that I can get away with in the transfers is 8mm in dia. This is all in respect to stock cylinders of course. :thumbsup:

oops, missed that part. Stupidly, after I ordered my 1/4" carbide, I realized that my Foredom #30 only accepts up to 5/32", so I'm going to pick up a #44 handpiece to do some 1/4" work. KEVSWS6, those pics are awesome, looks like you do some pretty nice work. I'm hoping to take my time and come out with an end product similar to your work. Although, I know it will take me longer.

This probably won't help you, but I''l post it any way.

When doing port work on stock Banshee cylinders, my weapons of choice for finishing operations are a 4mm dia. ball endmill, a 4mm diameter bull endmill, and a .125" dia. lollypop endmill. All of the tooling is made of TiAln coated K30 carbide. The reason I say the info might not be useful to you is that I do my porting on a 5-axis CNC mill.

For doing the cylinder block of my own design, I am using quite a few more tools of similair style and dimension. :geek:

CNC Mill :thumbsup: LUCKY!

Edited by KEVSWS6

• 1 year later...
Almost forgot another question I had about my No.1MC. What do you guys use to lubricate your tool. My foredom pieces are sealed, but I didn't know if something like Air Tool oil would work. Thanks again!

Whatever your oil of choice is for your air tools will do fine.

Almost forgot another question I had about my No.1MC. What do you guys use to lubricate your tool. My foredom pieces are sealed, but I didn't know if something like Air Tool oil would work. Thanks again!

We sell tubes of porting wax by Castrol. Most of our customers use this when porting. We also sell Left hand carbide for the #1mc which helps with reaching into the transfers. Just trying to answers some old questions. Hope this helps if not a little to late! :kiss: