Windows Vista

I'm running ultimate myself, any idea how you got the windwos to go sideways? I have a 512mb radeon x1600 card so I'm sure I have the video power. Had a gig of ram but just burnt up one of the chips by not fully pushing it in on a mobo/cpu swap.

Oh and yeah its already been cracked.

This button :thumbsup:

11.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd go with vista if they are giving it to you. I haven't had a problem yet, much smoother, my downloads are actually moving as fast as they should (600k/sec was about the quickest before now I've shot past 4mb/sec multiple times on an 8mb connection).

ANy program that wouldn't run I just reinstalled under vista and it fixed it.

Ice: looks like I need to get that 512mb chip back in its holding my score thingy down to under 3 everything else is 4.5+.

Apparently you cant force it on which is shit considering I know its not using more power than quake 4 or doom 3 in ultra high detail.

i just got vista myself. the only problem is my computer doesnt meet the minimum specs for the aero and flip3d so i cant have "sideways windows" as one person said.

in order to have aero gui you need 1ghz processor, 1gb of ram and a direct x 10 video card.

well fuck

my computer reads like this.

2.2ghz athlon xp cpu,

640mb crucial pc2100 ram

radeon 8500 64mb dual display video card

seperate dvd and dvdrw

2 proview 19inch w i d e s c r e e n LCD displays

other unimportant stuff

so i dont meet the minimum requirements.

i guess i have to upgrade. man my shit was top of the line like 2 years ago. hahaha.

i just got vista myself. the only problem is my computer doesnt meet the minimum specs for the aero and flip3d so i cant have "sideways windows" as one person said.

in order to have aero gui you need 1ghz processor, 1gb of ram and a direct x 10 video card.

well fuck

my computer reads like this.

2.2ghz athlon xp cpu,

640mb crucial pc2100 ram

radeon 8500 64mb dual display video card

seperate dvd and dvdrw

2 proview 19inch w i d e s c r e e n LCD displays

other unimportant stuff

so i dont meet the minimum requirements.

i guess i have to upgrade. man my shit was top of the line like 2 years ago. hahaha.

That processor and video card sure weren't....2 years ago anyways. :whistling:

I have the Barton core 2500 XP (Overclocked to 3200 XP for almost 4 years now) and a Radeon 9800 Pro All In Wonder, and my shit wasn't even top dog 3 or 4 years ago....:)

I got out of that fastest processor, best video card game a long time ago. As fast as ATV shit goes out of date, etc., it pales in comparison to how fast stuff is not the fastest anymore in the PC world.

I've been contemplating a dual core AMD 64 bit upgrade for a long time. But, my little turd runs everything I throw at it perfectly...and, I'd rather spend that money on my quad hands down.

Vista might be fine for home use, but in the corporate environment with a lot of older legacy apps and hardware, the support just isn't there. It's literally a nightmare for those in my biz...

The sad part is, try to buy a new computer anywhere with XP. Good luck....

CSR...if you want to see some real speed, and you do a lot of stuff hard drive intensive (video editing/capturing, etc.) get a pair of 10,000 RPM Raptors in a RAID 0 array. Very nice performance. Just make sure you back your stuff up regularly because a RAID 0 array can be flaky, and if it bombs on you, you lose it all...

CSR...if you want to see some real speed, and you do a lot of stuff hard drive intensive (video editing/capturing, etc.) get a pair of 10,000 RPM Raptors in a RAID 0 array. Very nice performance. Just make sure you back your stuff up regularly because a RAID 0 array can be flaky, and if it bombs on you, you lose it all...

Western Digital Raptors are the shit, friend has one..

Fire- You should prob get 2 gb of ram, 1 gb works but i just upgraded at it helped ALOT. I'm running two OCZ pc 3200 Low latency 1gb sticks (overclocked 2.8v) heathshields on em' . rams cheap right now, tigerdirect.com. I want a new vid card tho, mine barely made the vista specs

Western Digital Raptors are the shit, friend has one..

Fire- You should prob get 2 gb of ram, 1 gb works but i just upgraded at it helped ALOT. I'm running two OCZ pc 3200 Low latency 1gb sticks (overclocked 2.8v) heathshields on em' . rams cheap right now, tigerdirect.com. I want a new vid card tho, mine barely made the vista specs

Yeah, sure are. It's amazing how fast you can load windows and programs with them.

I got one of the first generation 36GB drives, paid over 200 for it. Now you can probably get two of them for that much through newegg.com....

daogejr,

for my everyday needs i think my current box is good enough, later on ill pass it off to my dad and build a new system. i overclock too, my 2.2ghz axp is running on a 280fsb. (suppose to be 266)

im in the "biz" as well. im a microsoft certified systems engineer for windows 2000 and xp. ive got some other lesser certs like a+ repair but those are only worth a brief mention.

maybe its been more than 2 years sence i built this computer, but when i built this computer i bought ALL top of the line stuff. thats how i do it. i buy top of the line and then i dont touch a thing untill my computer is once again too slow. my 2.2ghz cpu had just been released to the retail market. half a gig ofcrucial ddr2400 was atleast $175 back then.

my last computer had a k6-3 cpu at 500mhz. 2 120gb 7200 rpm drives in raid 0 just like you mentioned. only problem is i dont do hd intensive things. i dont edit video. i do convert and burn dvdr's but thats cpu intensive, not hd. i needed to upgrade basck then but the raid didnt seem to do a thing for me, so i ditched it and put my money into the cpu and memory, kept one of the drives and sold the other on ebay for around $100.

my computer before that was a pentium 133mhz, man it cost me over a grand to build it, and it annoys me to think that computer today is worth about $10 on ebay. hahaha.

i think im going to hold off on vista. it would cost me a couple hundred bucks in video card and ram to be up to snuff for the aero interface. honestly my current xp box does everything i need at a speed that is plenty fast. maybe in a few years when my current box is starting to annoy me, ill pass it off to my dad and build a new system. but for now my current box does everyhting i need. i cant justify upgrading just so i can run the areo interface. aero is nice, but not for an extra $350.

True enough....

I'm only saying because my PC is on the verge of 4 years old, similar platform (Asus A7N8X deluxe was the cadillace when I bought it, and if you're into overclocking, the barton 2500 was a great little chip on air from 2500 to 3200 no problems.)

I believe I built mine in March of 2003...

I don't use the PC power I have either...to be 100% honest. but, PC parts are tax write offs for me, just like my quad!

I keep thinking about a 64 bit dual core AMD setup, but why spend 500 or 800 bucks for a new board, memory, vid card, etc., when the PC I have does everything I need to do and then some. I finally replaced my PSU late last year, my little 350W took a dump, luckily didn't take anything with it.

I keep fighting the itch...and it boils down to I'd rather put 100 into my banshee than into my computer...know what I mean?

I'd like to get my hands on Vista to become familiar with it...but I'm not chomping at the bit by any means!!!

i know what you mean. those dual cores look tempting, but youre smart to hold off. the current crop of dual core tech is too power hungry. have you seen the power supply recomendations for one of those and a hot graphics card? amd has a tech sheet where you plug in various wattage requirements for youre components and it gives you power supply wattage recomendation. damn you know they make 1000w atx power supply's now?

another factor to consider when upgrading is the cost of electricity. i read on one of those computer geek sites a guy calculated that he was going to pay another $10 a month (on top of what he pays now) in electricity just to run a new dual core system with all the bells and whistles.

i think im going to hold off untill the dual cores and possibly quad cores come down in cost and electricity usage.

if you want vista send me a pm with youre mailing address. i got ya covered :P

Iv been an action pack subscriber for years so i get everything in advance and lots of keys. More for a company but we have a lot of computers at our house. Anyways its very promising yet i wouldn't update to it right now wait till drivers for motherboards and video cards are more radially available. On top of all that i strongly recommend at least 1gb of ram but 2gb would be ideal. At this moment I'm maxed out in all performance fields with 5.9s but only having 1gb of ram kills me.

i know what you mean. those dual cores look tempting, but youre smart to hold off. the current crop of dual core tech is too power hungry. have you seen the power supply recomendations for one of those and a hot graphics card? amd has a tech sheet where you plug in various wattage requirements for youre components and it gives you power supply wattage recomendation. damn you know they make 1000w atx power supply's now?

another factor to consider when upgrading is the cost of electricity. i read on one of those computer geek sites a guy calculated that he was going to pay another $10 a month (on top of what he pays now) in electricity just to run a new dual core system with all the bells and whistles.

i think im going to hold off untill the dual cores and possibly quad cores come down in cost and electricity usage.

if you want vista send me a pm with youre mailing address. i got ya covered :P

I will take you up on that, and offer in return Office 2007 if you don't already have it.

I was looking on new egg today. 163.99 for a mobo and X2 processor (cheap, more than I need anywho)

212 for 2GB of Corsair DDR2, 40 dollar rebate.

119 for a PCI Express X16 card. I can reuse all the rest of my stuff.

I was in a jam the other day, and had to go to...EEK...Best Buy to get a client a Power Supply, ordering online wasn't an option, closest place to me. Yeah, saw an 800W and 1000W PSU. I nearly shit myself.

I remember when if you had a 150W PSU, you were king shit. Then again, if you had a 14,400 dial up modem, you were smoking through the INternet....oh, the good old days....LOL.