Camcorders for Helmet cams

fox_forma

I'm in the middle of upgrading my computer, well, getting a new one actually. The computer I'm getting is geared toward media, so I'll be able to do a lot of editing of my tape.

Right now I have a philips or panasonic dvd recorder. It's got a firewire connection on the front of it and I just plug my camera right into it and press record. The recorder was only 150 bucks and for the most part its nice to have the whole footage on tape. The recorder has a little bit of editing, like you can take out from this part to this part, or you can add chapter titles in wherever you want to skip around like if have sitting at basecamp, going out to the trail, gnarly hillclimb, jimmy breaks his fingernail trying to pop his chain back on cause he's an idiot and didnt tighten it to much, etc etc.

good luck with it, my advice is to not use a fanny pack, they are a pain in the ass. Get a backpack that has a waist strap and a chest strap. Mine is an Ironman pack and it came with little ear headphones that wind from in the backpack up through the shoulder straps and came out of the shoulder straps for your ears. I pulled the headphones and stuck the microphone, lan remote, and camera through the straps and everything is attached to the backpack except the camera. If I want to take it off, I just unvelcro the helmet cam and its off.

Make sure you get the Lan remote. It's kind of expensive, but it makes things so much nicer to turn the camera off and on, know when you're running out of tape, and when your battery is dying. Believe me, its a pain in the ass if you dont have one

I was looking for a nice camelpack to use so I can also stay hydrated when riding. One thing I find kinda odd is how the mic is hooked up for the helmet cam. Its pretty far down the wiring so it seems the mic would have to be enclosed in the pack so it doesnt flop around or get screwed up by any water/mud. I did hook it up and I must say the picture quality is great for such a little devise. Only thing that I dont care for it the bullet cam itself has to be lined up perfectly or the picture going through it wont be straight. That could be a PITA when mounting it in different locations. Has the mount the cam slides into held up good for you with out and twisting or anything from the bullet cam itself? I may rig something else up for better stability but who knows.

As for the LANC remote, I dont believe the Elura 100 is able to use that. I have a wireless remote I can use but it will basically be a guessing game with battery life and record time. I guess I will just have to use my stop watch to manage the time so I can be ready to switch out tapes/batteries.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic