Stubborn Upper A-Arm Bolt

1.6i

Im installing some a-arms on my shee.. the left side upper bolt (the long one) came off nice and easy...The right side is another story, i've hammered at it quit a bit and its not coming out at all...it turns but not moving out at all...I've tried a chissle in between the seat and bolt head and still nothing...Im about to try an air hammer, but im afraid of ruining the threads/nut... Any suggestions as to whats going on..or any other way of doing this at all?? :confused: TIA

Edited by 1.6i

wow, ok so its normal...

whats a "large fine adjusment tool"?

i'll probably end up just hitting it with a punch then,

How much $ does that bolt run?,cause im pretty sure ima have to get another one..

thanks for the quick responses :beer:

Edited by 1.6i

I ordered a new one but didn't get a price. It will be here tomorrow. Can't be more than $5 at the dealership. I looked at the hardware store but was unable to find one. Just cut off the head and hit it out the other way. The bolt is probaly rusty so you wouldn't want to use it anyhow. Mine came out with the sleeve stuck on it but I have new a-arms so it won't matter, but you could have the same problem if you have to use the sleeve

Edited by Hollister_Hitman

whats a "large fine adjusment tool"?

How much $ does that bolt run?,cause im pretty sure ima have to get another one..

a hammer.

i dunno, maybe 10 bucks? if you could go to a bolt house it would probably be cheaer.

well, before i had put away my tools the first night i was working on it, i loaded the bolt head up with PB spray...if any of you guys are familiar with this stuff it works pretty good, it seeps through the cracks and loosesns up rust.....well, it soaked all night and all day yesterday..when i got home from work i smacked it one time with a mini sledge and it worked...i had to keep smacking it out but it came out without ruining the bolt or nut...im pretty happy i got my suspension on..ima post pics when i get my brake lines on...thanks everyone :beer:

well, you can get a crow bar and pry it away from the frame just enough to get the bolt out. but be very careful because this could result in damaging your frame.

• 2 weeks later...

consider yourself lucky it took me and my friend over 8 hours to do both my Arms, both bolts were frozen inside, and even after we cut the head off one of them we could not get the bolt out. We were about 3 minutes away from cutting the stock A-arms in 2 to get them off the frame. Ended up having to drill the bolt out of the arm. (This took some time believe me bolts are not easy to drill through) Had to drill through the part where it bolts to the frame then broke the remaints off.

I wish someone would make stainless bolts for the upper arms already I hope I never have to do that shit again.

I think it would have been easier to buy a new frame and just put the A-arms on that, then transfer everything else over lol.

Same problem here. :banghead:

Apparently it is a VERY common problem. Ever take a gander at eBay?? Most of the people who are selling their a-arms have both lowers and just one of the uppers. Usually it is the left one. I soaked my right upper with penetrant for three days, placed a 4 ton jack on it and applied enough pressure for the frame tabs to begin to flex, added in the 'fine adjustment tool', and it hasn't even begun to break free. I might as well be hammering on the bottom of an M1 Abrams tank. :banghead:

More frustrating than electrical problems. :shoothead: Guess I am going to take the cutoff wheel to it this weekend.

As far as replacement parts, check out partswarehouse.com. They are 20% cheaper on factory parts than anyone else that I have found. For those of you needing the top bolt, they are $5.78. The pivot shaft is a bit more pricey at $13.43 and the nut is $3.39.