16 tooth frt sprocket for 1/8th mile?

96bansheepilot

hey just wanted to know if i could look for lower e.t.'s w/ a 16 frnt sprocket instead of 14. my bike is ported w/ cpi's and noss head and v force 3's and plenty of other bolt-ons. i feel the bike has approx 65-70 hp. i'm only runnin 8.71 in the 1/8th. i was runnin a guy next to me w/ a 16 front sprocket and similar power and was beating me by .5 sec. i heard the reason why shee's run a higher front sprocket is because it keeps the bike in the power band longer instead of blasting through the power band and falling off. w/ a 16 tooth it will pull in the power band longer. is this true? and also, should i be using all of my gears in the 1/8 or just five? thanks for all the drag help brothers!

i take it your running the stock rear sprocket. a 16 in front could help but if i were you i'd try a 15 then a 16 and see what works best for you and your setup.you might consider goin down a tooth or 2 on the rear instead.just remember going up one tooth in front is like goin down 3 teeth in rear and the other way around.

You should try a 15.The 14 is probably topping your banshee out too fast.Try this.When you get about 10 to 15 feet from the finishline,pull the clutch and just let out of it.I broke out by doing this.Instead of slowing down,I went faster.Try it.

man,thanks for the advice. i'm all for tryin new things to lower the e.t. i'll order a 15 tooth also. cuz i just ordered a 16 tooth. do you think the higher front sprocket would lower my 60' times cuz i wouldn't be spinning the tires as much and maybe not getting to 2nd gear as quickly. who knows i'll try it....thanks

race-a-holic is right. A 16 sounds a bit to much for the kind of power you said you were making. It would help to know what size tires you are running and what kind of surface you are racing on. Unless you are on asphalt, you should be geared so you can start in 2nd.

I'm geared 16-40 with 22 inch paddles and I start in 2nd. And I run an override so my Banshee is only a 5 speed. I have plenty of top end and it never falls out of the power band.

race-a-holic is right. A 16 sounds a bit to much for the kind of power you said you were making. It would help to know what size tires you are running and what kind of surface you are racing on. Unless you are on asphalt, you should be geared so you can start in 2nd.

I'm geared 16-40 with 22 inch paddles and I start in 2nd. And I run an override so my Banshee is only a 5 speed. I have plenty of top end and it never falls out of the power band.

what motor are you running to start with that high of gearing with those tall ass tires. im sure its on alky also.

wow thats some gears for sec gear starts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...