Rough Running Shee

Hey Guys, Im new to the Yamaha banshee, i recently purchased a 1989 banshee, its bored .50 over and has twin DG pipes. For some reason its spits and sputters and almost acts like it is firing on one cylinder when i am going up through the gears. It does it real bad through 3-4, but 5-6 are ok. I decided i would take the air filter off it and give it a good cleaning, but that didnt work. i then decided to run it without the air filter, and that solved the problem, or atleast most of the problem, still bogs out some, but not nearly as bad as it did with the filter. I am also running it 32:1 and i dont know if that it too lean. I am also running NGK BR9ES plugs, can you guys please help me with my problems, thanks alot,

Mopar 440 :D

Edited by Mopar_440

sounds like your running rich if it ran better without the filter. do a search on plug chops to check your jetting. may also need to change the needle setting. do a search in the jetting forums, you'll find what you need. if not, post up again there. 32:1 should be fine, but it depends on what oil your using. :confused:

Edited by MILO

a mixture that is too lean can cause engine damage. but it really depends on what oil you're using. some are mixed up to 50:1. i mix yamalube 2r 32:1 without any problems. but i think your problem is with jetting being too rich, not fuel mixture. i always run ngk b8es.

Edited by MILO

Leaning out your fuel mixture would not be the correct way to fix a rich condition. You need to rejet. They're some great jetting articles in the faq's section. As for plugs, I run B8ES.

514886[/snapback]

Thank you...I love it when I hear guys say I run 40:1 in the summer, 32:1 in the winter...

Repair shops just lick their chops over that...