New or Rebuilt Crank?

Hey Guys,

I tore into my shee this weekend cause the compression was low in one cylinder. Low and behold, I found that a ring broke and played havoc on my piston and cylinder head. To boot, the rod has a lot of side to side play (like 1/8"+) on the crank. I think the crack in the intake from the boost bottle caused a lean condition in the right cylinder....damn boost bottles.

So, I need to bore my cylinders and get new pistons and rings, and I am looking into fixing my crank. Recently I have heard of problems with Hot Rods cranks coming apart. I also know that Tony Doukas racing offers rebuilt cranks for about $350. What is better to go: rebuilt or hot rods crank?

Also, anyone know a good machine shop in the south bay area???

Thanks!

I have read a lot of posts on the stroker/long rod setups. Will I be able to run a stroker longrod without getting my top end ported? I already have to spend close to 700 to get it running, and am on a bit of a budget right now. Would it run horribly if I didn't have it ported?

You can go w/a spacer plate for the stroker crank until you get the money to port the jugs and have the head cut to accept the extra stroke. If you go stroked and long rod, you need to run 795 series Weisco's, or Blaster pistons plus the stroker plate or port and cut domes.

Guarenteed not from the factory. But when I had some work done by Patriot Racing, Dan informed me that he sold the Hot Rods crank new w/the bearing swap already done. Was cheaper than what I picked the crank up for + labor and bearings to have it done. :wacko: I am not familiar w/Inland ATV, but if they know there stuff they may do the same! The TZ bearing is very distinct looking, you won't mistake it. Maybe someone has a picture of what one looks like they can post, mine is already together.

Yeah i had a Tony Dukas crank in mine but it took a shit about a month ago so im going with the hot rods now. Its just as cheap to get a new hot rods crank than to buy a oem or a used one thats been trued and welded from a good builder. Plus if i understand right the bearings and rods on the hot rods crank are stronger anyways.

You guys can do what you like, but the Hot Rods cranks have been known(in high HP apps anyway) to come apart(welding will fix), and the factory bearings are questionable as well. My theory is the crank is the hart of your engine(and usually the most expensive single piece), don't skimp!

Mine was not welded. Purchased it 2 yrs ago tho. You will hear many opinions on what is high horsepower. If you are building a 4 mill, and are eventually going to pay the money to get it ported by someone reputable, that is going to classify you as high enough horsepower to be concerned. Once you have gotten to where you are even thinking about a 4-mill you are allready hooked, aren't you? And if you indeed are, you might as well build that crank to handle future further improvements, or you will be at square one again, "I need a crank". Just my $.02.