rich or lean

MILO

recently i've seen different explanations of rich and lean on here. it's no wonder newbies get confused. :confused: so correct me if i'm wrong but here's my take on it:

if you're talking mixing your gas, like a typical 2 stroke, mixing 'more rich' is adding more oil to the gas. mixing 'more lean' is less oil mixed with the gas. the gas is what it is, so it's the amount of additive to it (oil) that determines more rich (more oil) or more lean (less oil)

if you're talking fuel to air ratio, on any gas powered vehicle, then a rich mixture means an increased amount of fuel to the mix, while maintaining or decreasing air flow, and a lean mixture means an increased amount of air flow while maintaining or decreasing the fuel flow.

this is why anytime you modify or increase air flow, you have a 'lean' condition in which you need to 'richen' the fuel flow to compensate for it.

i thought this was kind of an across the board definition of rich/lean, no matter where you are or what your dealing with. but i still see different takes on it all the time, and not just on this site. is it seen differently in different areas, or just misunderstood?? B)

If you add more oil to your fuel you can create a lean condition, you'll be burning more oil and air than fuel.

calling your feul mix rich by adding oil is where you cunfuse people, that would be like calling your coolent mix lean if you run 60% water.

If you add more oil to your fuel you can create a lean condition, you'll be burning more oil and air than fuel.

calling your feul mix rich by adding oil is where you cunfuse people, that would be like calling your coolent mix lean if you run 60% water.

492399[/snapback]

:confused: huh