Can i trust the dealer service team?

shredder

Hey guys,

just bought a brand new Shee... I have opted to go with paul turner mids and pyramid reed valves along with the pro flo intake setup. i see all these people with jetting problems on here, so im nervous and want my dealership to install my upgrades for me. right now my engine starts up 3rd kick max and runs perfect. Can i trust my dealership to install the jetting for the new pipe and reed setup properly. or should i avoid them and go through the tirelss hours of rejetting myself.... id really hate to have a brand new machine and not be able to ride it cause of jetting problems. Thanks :(

ps I mean i would figure this would be an easy upgrade but ive heard from you guys that dealer service teams can be real bonheads and ruin good things in a hurry :cry:

should just get a bunch of jets and install the stuff ur self.. ive never had pt mids but id think ya should start around a 290 and do a plug chop and go from there. usually a service team installs recomended jetting and sends ya on ir merry lil way. if ya do it ur self then ya can be sure its right! :cheers:

The simple answer is no.

To expand on that, the service shop guys (at least around here) don't ride your machine or really check to make sure it is jetted correctly. They just do what the instruction sheet that came with the pipes or whatever they are installing says and hopes it is ok. Generally speaking, they also don't really care if it blows up or not because it isn't their machine.

IMHO, learn to do all service work yourself. If you own the machine you had better be able to do at least basic maintenance because the machine will break at the least opportune time and you'll have to figure out what to do then.

Why risk it?!? I know everybody feels a little differently about this. I've always felt that it's YOUR bike, YOU should be able to fix it. Nobody was born knowing how to jet bikes. You've gotta learn sooner or later, right? The one and only time my 'shee has seen the stealership is when I had them make me a throttle cable for my 2 into 1. And even then they fucked it up and made it too long <_< .

IMHO, learn to do all service work yourself. If you own the machine you had better be able to do at least basic maintenance because the machine will break at the least opportune time and you'll have to figure out what to do then.

486502[/snapback]

Good point. If you didn't plan on learning how to jet it, you should have bought the 700R. ;)

if you call duncan racing they can tell you what jets to use and if you dont feel like doing it your self. just tell who ever does the bike what jets you want installed. Its really not that hard to do and you'll save alot of money if you do it your self. just take your time.

if you call duncan racing  they can tell you what jets to use and if you dont feel like doing it your self.  just tell who ever does the bike what jets you want installed.  Its really not that hard to do and you'll save alot of money if you do it your self.  just take your time.

486600[/snapback]

You can use Duncan's suggestions as a starting point, but I would always do your own research on jetting. Altitude, temperature, and modification differences between your motor and the motor they based the suggestions off of can and will cause each individual bike completely different.

For example, your bike may run fine (and not blow up) on Duncan's jetting suggestions, but I bet it doesn't make all the power it could make. Manufacturers generally play it safe and err on the fat side for jetting so the motors live.

Honesty,

its the reason ive been a member of this website since it was just getting on its feet :cheers: . i talked to the tech at DRI today and he told me the same as u guys. even offered to guide me through steps on the phone as i was doing the jetting installation. just to get me started after that i guess its exchange and repeat till it works. im gonna grow some balls and do this myself

Thank You

And roost on friends

Honesty,

. im gonna grow some balls and do this myself

487056[/snapback]

thats what i like to hear. Do your own work save money and atleast you know its done the right way.