motor mods?

MATTNEY

Just lookin for some advice. I have a 95 with a set of FMF pipes and a ESR cool

head and 20cc domes. I want to run pump gas and don't want to burn up the pistons. I was told not to use a degree key because my compression should be around 155 with the new head. The motor is curently out of the bike and

was thinking about having some mild port work done. Would the port work help bring down the compresion or what? With the stock head it sat strong at 120

on both sides. What can anybody tell me about reed spacers? Wast of money or

not? Is there anybody out there running a set of 20cc domes on pump gas with a degree key and are you having trouble? I live in Oregon and run in the sand

at sea level. I bought the banshee from a guy who didnt know anything about it.

Im thinking that while I have the motor out I should pull the top end and have

it looked at to see if the crank has been welded. Thanks

Just lookin for some advice. I have a 95 with a set of FMF pipes and a ESR cool

head and 20cc domes. I want to run pump gas and don't want to burn up the pistons. I was told not to use a degree key because my compression should be around 155 with the new head. The motor is curently out of the bike and

was thinking about having some mild port work done. Would the port work help bring down the compresion or what? With the stock head it sat strong at 120

on both sides. What can anybody tell me about reed spacers? Wast of money or

not? Is there anybody out there running a set of 20cc domes on pump gas with a degree key and are you having trouble? I live in Oregon and run in the sand

at sea level. I bought the banshee from a guy who didnt know anything about it.

Im thinking that while I have the motor out I should pull the top end and have

it looked at to see if the crank has been welded. Thanks

459379[/snapback]

what octane is your fuel

personely i hated reed spacers... i tried them both on the front side of the reeds (pulling the reeds back 1/2", & on the back side of the reed pulling my carbs back 1/2" & it really changed the power band. i do have to admit they did give me a bit more bottom end on the front side of the reeds but i'd never put them on again ... i love the way mine works with Port-job, Pro Circuit pipes, FMF Ram Valve Reeds, head shaved .030", UNI filter, NGK Iridium plugs (best plug ever, ran them all summer & still have them in).

but it all comes back to how u like them there only cheep, i got mine of my cousin for a trade for a few other parts but ... i think there only cheep. so i'd say try them see if u like them i know i didn't. :dance:

I would like to run super pump gas but I was told that if my compression is @150

that is borderline for race gas. So I am thinking that with a little port work to bring it down. I have heard that if I use my advance key with this set up I will have to

run race gas, is anybody out there using super pump gas with the same mods?

I havent installed the head yet so I am assuming that the 20cc domes are going to take me to the edge of predetonation on pump gas. I would like to do this correctly while the motor is out of the bike so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Does anybody think I should go for it and use the advance key and just go with race gas? I was told that advancing the ignition adds big gains, is this so?

Thanks Again

You'd pick up a couple HP with the advanced timing. So I wouldn't neccesarily say they were "big" gains. You might consider ditching the key and using an adjustable timing plate instead. Some people have sheared their keys which led to costly repairs. Now I ran one for 2 years and never had a problem so maybe I just got lucky or maybe the people that have had problems weren't tightening the flywheel enough. Either way, the timing plate from Ricky Stator is worth the $35 just for peace of mind alone.

You should be okay with 20cc domes and stock timing. Is 'Super' up there 91 or 93 octane? Personally I'd recommend getting some porting as that's one of the best banshee mods to really tailor the power to your own riding style. The only time I wouldn't recommend porting is if you're planning on building a stroker anytime soon since the ports will be off and alot of times you'll have to buy new cylinders. This is less of a problem these days since so many people are switching to cub cylinders and therefore the market is flooded with used stock cylinders.