1 better than 2?

sj30

i recently purchased my first yamaha banshee and was discussing with some friends about upgrades i want to eventully do and one of my friends suggested switching from a two carb set up to getting the kit and getting a single carb set up. i was wondering what are the pro's and con's of this would be? and whether or not i would be better off leaving the dual carb in it.

True, a single is easier than a dual carb set up, but unless you are mainly just gonna trail ride stick with 2 carbs. Just upgrade, depending on your motor. A quick story-last season a dude was ripping around on a shee that friggin sounded awesome! I sat down at my truck and my sons were still riding. The guy finds my oldest son and asks if any "fast" Banshees were around to drag. My son said I was at my truck, haven a frosty. He comes up, tells me his shit is ported/polished brand new this and that. Basically he had a dynoport pipe and a 35mm carb and a shitty port job I suppose. Also said he was gonna smoke me. We dragged about 5 times and each time I beat him by AT LEAST 9 bikes. Whooped him. I ran the 94 in my sig. He was kinda pissed, I gave him a frosty and told him not to talk so much shit. Banshees were made to have two carbs, pipes. :cheers:

i'm sure alot of people will agree with me here but i have a trinity 2 into 1 setup and i love it! i didn't lose much top end that was really noticable neways. i draged alot of people and my banshee still runs great. my mods are in my sig. only races i lost were 6th gear wide open on a road where dead op pulled away in 5th and 6th cas of taller gears. lots of duners on here have em too. depends on how u set ur bike up. unless ur all out drag i think it's a matter of opinion. but i love mine.

if you are set on getting one carb trinity has some kinda fuel pump injection thing to inject more fuel into the carb at higher RPM's kinda compensating for only having 1 carb, but you will need to run a battery to use it, and I think you have to set it on a dyno.

IMO stick with 2 carbs and you won't lose much lowend. Then again if it's tight trails a single carb setup is for you, but banshees are not really made for tight trails...

Edited by Justintoxicated

My quad came with a single carb and love it. For your type of riding it will definately help. Some of my friends think i have a woods port because of how early the power starts. If your riding trails alot(mud and water) i wouldn't recommend striaght on clamp kn due to fact it doesn't like water. It sucks going around every puddle

Personally I like the Graydon Proline 2 into 1 setup, but they don't make them anymore. You can still find them on ebay though. I think Trinity or making your own is the only other option available right now. Once you get that done, you just need to buy a carb, filter, and throttle cable. Use a 33mm carb if you don't plan on porting, or a 35mm carb if there's a chance you might get it ported eventually. I like the PWK's but there's alot of good carbs out there. For the filter you could get a clamp on uni or K&N - just match the measurements (I think the 35pwk is 2.25"). Last, pick up a throttle cable for a blaster.

I really think a single carb is the way to go if you're not trying to get every HP or riding WOT much. Their simplicity alone makes them worth a slight loss in performance IMO. Jetting is super easy, there's plenty of room in the engine to work, you never have to sync, etc. Plus as an added benefit if you ever have a problem on one side it really narrows down the potential causes. Engine diagnostics are greatly simplified.

For better low end and/or trail riding, the best mods are (in no particular order):

timing advance

more compression

lightenned flywheel

stroker

porting

single carb

2:1 pipe

Just remember if you do all that your not gonna have a very competitive bike if you try to drag somebody.

Just remember if you do all that your not gonna have a very competitive bike if you try to drag somebody.

435740[/snapback]

Depends on who you drag, you'll take a stock Banshee but not a highly modded one. You'll also have a fight with the 450's but most every other machine is going to get beat by that setup unless they have some serious work.

Well we all know the banshee is fast and will take most machines out there, even if they are modded. I was just saying that those mods are aimed more for low end. Granted some things like timing advance, compression, stroker, etc. are gonna help no matter what kind of bike you're building. Even with a low-end built shee your only competition will be other banshees, well built 250r's, dirtbikes, the 450's and maybe the new raptor.

Well we all know the banshee is fast and will take most machines out there, even if they are modded.  I was just saying that those mods are aimed more for low end.  Granted some things like timing advance, compression, stroker, etc. are gonna help no matter what kind of bike you're building.  Even with a low-end built shee your only competition will be other banshees, well built 250r's, dirtbikes, the 450's and maybe the new raptor.

435794[/snapback]

I hear ya I just wanted to point that out because I didn't want somebody deterred from a good setup. That setup will run with or better than probably 90% of other bikes.

For the type of riding sj30 says he does, single carb will work out good.

sj30, if you like the benefits stated on single carb use, get one. I got my trinity setup on ebay, guy went by the name of motomahimahi, good to work with-prompt shipping. I really like mine, lost no top end and I'm running a 33pwk. Eventually, when I start to get into porting and other mods, I plan on trying a larger carb (38pwk), not really that expensive to do. Yea, banshee's with major mods will beat you in a drag, but if your trail riding, you won't be running into them anyway. For me, no screwing around sync' and no wide open throttle sticking after running through water.

ok i have a friend who rides a 400ex with white brothers exhaust a chip in it i forget exactly what that does........ and there was some other stuff and i want to make sure that i can beat him if i go to a single carb set up. i really don't ride against other 4wheelers i'm not much of a racer so it is bassically trails but the occasional track but i don't compete as far as races. i just want to improve my low end but hopefully keep my top end high enough to stay faster than my buddy. my shee has trinity exhaust and has been bored over 20 so would that make a difference about how big of a carb i would need to get?

The two carbs usually offered is the 33 or the 35pwk. As stated by others, go with the 35 if you have any plans to do porting in the future.

You should have no trouble beating your friend right now, or after putting on a single carb setup. My nephew has a 400ex that has a 440 kit/cam/and pipe, he may get the first couple of feet on me, but from there on, I'm in front. The longer the race, the farther away I pull ahead.

My comment on the larger 38pwk is based on my experience with that carb on my KTM 200exc. Works very well with that motor. Could take some experimentation to make it work on the banshee.