Mud Bog/ Mud Drag Race...anybody do them?

Stinger

There is a "mud bog" at the local county fair next week and I was thinking about doing it since I learned that there is an ATV class...mostly it will be a bunch of utility 4x4's trying to plow through the mud.

My idea is to bolt on my paddles, launch in second, and hope I can skim across the top. From what I hear, the mud is normally pretty deep (like above the knees).

The only problem with that idea is I don't know how much of a run I get at the mud...if I only get a few feet it may not work worth a shit.

Also, should I build a cover to go around my K&N filters so they don't get soaked? I know if I splash through water it will ingest water and run like crap.

How about building a skid plate along the bottom of the shee just for the race...use a light plastic or something? Think it would be worth it?

Anybody do these kind of races? Anybody have any luck?

we did that in howard ks but the mud was only like 5 inch deep.

i put my paddles on and just mashed the shit out of it. it was beyond a blast. lasted on like 3 secs though.

but won 64 dollar if i remember right.

if its really wet i would put some thing over your box if you run one like some pantyhose couple of pairs over it to cover or protect your filter.

i ran outerwears adn didnt have any problems but again it wasnt super wet and really deep

get some vids if possible

There is a "mud bog" at the local county fair next week and I was thinking about doing it since I learned that there is an ATV class...mostly it will be a bunch of utility 4x4's trying to plow through the mud.

My idea is to bolt on my paddles, launch in second, and hope I can skim across the top.  From what I hear, the mud is normally pretty deep (like above the knees).

The only problem with that idea is I don't know how much of a run I get at the mud...if I only get a few feet it may not work worth a shit.

Also, should I build a cover to go around my K&N filters so they don't get soaked?  I know if I splash through water it will ingest water and run like crap.

How about building a skid plate along the bottom of the shee just for the race...use a light plastic or something?  Think it would be worth it?

Anybody do these kind of races?  Anybody have any luck?

406957[/snapback]

I won a mud bog event a couple of weeks ago at a local fair. It wasn't on a 'Shee though, 'cause I sold them both. Just put on paddles, pin the throttle in second, & scoot your ass to the back of the seat after you get rolling. You want the front-end to be as light as possible to skim over the mud & water. I got soaked but had a BLAST!!! :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

Well, to get ready for the mud bog I put the stock airbox and proflow setup back onto the shee, duct taped up any possible areas for water to leak into the airbox, and bolted on the paddles tires.

During the driver's meeting, they told us the pit was 130 feet long and started ~2" deep and gradually went to a final depth of 20-24". They said they had 16,000 gallons of water in it.

When I initially looked at the pit, it looked like the mud was pretty thick...that's just what I was hoping for, something I could get on top of and haul ass to the other end.

I was the second guy to run. The first guy was on a Baja, he went about 25 feet and got stuck.

I rolled up to the line, put it in second, leaned forward, pinned it, and slipped the clutch to keep from going over backwards.

I quickly realized that they were full of shit about it only being 2" deep at the start. As soon as I rolled past the start line my front tires dropped into about 8" of sloppy mud.

MudBog1.jpg

I went about 10 feet and it started slowing down (not what I planned, I started to get worried), I leaned back as far as I could and left it pinned...it then proceeded to hold about 2mph for the next 100 feet. It didn't accelerate, slow down, nothing...just plowed through the mud like a damn utility. :yank:

MudBog2.jpg

When I got to the real deep stuff (more like 30 inches, not 20) it finally lost traction with the bottom of the pit and failed to move forward any farther...I'd made it 107 feet. Up to that point, the only thing that was muddy was my feet. The moment I got off the throttle, the paddles dropped about 3 gallons of mud soup all over me... <_<

When I got back to the pits, this is what the shee looked like:

MudBog3.jpg

There were 7 more competitors in the 2wd paddle tire class. Nobody in the next 6 did better than 102 feet (Predator). The last one up was my 14 year old Step Brother on his 250R that I spent all weekend tuning and such to get him ready for the bog. I gave him some pointers (what line to take, what gear to run in, lean back, etc.) and the peckerhead proceeded to go 111 feet...4 feet farther than me banghead

I came home with 50 bux, he came home with 100.

Here is a better pic of what the pit looked like. The truck is at about 80 feet so where I got stuck was another 37 feet down the pit...and about 10" deeper.

MudBog4.jpg

We finished up with a little mud wrestling...probably the best entertainment of the day :drool:

MudBog5.jpg

Edited by Stinger