moody banshee

ShakyJ

I bought my 1996 Banshee about 2 months ago. I have taken it out about 7 times since then with no problems. This last weekend i took it out to pismo beach and the bike was running fine for about 20 minutes then the chaos began. The first thing that happened was the bike stalled out with no warning in the middle of the powerband. After that i could not get the bike to reach the powerband it would just lug along without reaching high rpm whether i was going downhill, flatground or uphill. After about 10 minutes of this, it began running normally so I brought the bike back to camp and let a friend of mine take it out. He had no problems with it during his 20 minute ride. When he brought it back a few more people rode it and one of them had the same thing as i did happen to him. When I went to ride it again I kicked it over, revved it up and when i started to engage the clutch the bike sounded like it was going to die so i gave it more gas, it stalled out anyways. This went on for about 10 minutes then suddenly everything was fine. These same problems happened off and on for the whole weekend !! HELP!!!!

what mods do you have? i know 2 of my friends melted pistons, acted like what you said till finaly took the head off and piton was done for... i happened to me too only my piston broke apart at the skirt and hung up on one of the ports in the cylinder, locked it up,, i finally got it pull started and broke free ran great till it died and did not want to start again,

check your pistons, this happened to us 3, who ride dunes together cause of pump gas in high compression application,,, 2 of us had 18cc domes and i had 17cc domes. now the 110octain is in them

Thanks for the info pimpeinkc. I'm not sure of all the mods to the bike but from the receipts and talking with the old owner all that was done was exhaust(t5's), k&n filter and a boost bottle. I have read some other posts and there seems to be a lot of different problems related to the tors i think i will try removing it and see if there is any change. I am not much of a mechanic so the idea of opening up the head scares the piss out of me!!! However, if the tors fix doesnt work i may come knockin at your door for a little lesson in piston checking. Thanks again :cheers:

Go ahead and take the head off. I bet a 10 year old can do it, its easy dont worry man. Just drain the coolant and take off the nuts on top of the head. Pop it off, it may require a hit from a rubber mallet to get loose.... see what your pistons look like, kick it over slowly see if you hear or see any marks in the bore , maybe get some pictures and post them on here. Then when you throw the head back on just replace the head gasket and tighten the nuts to 20 ft lbs with a torque wrench. :) Like mentioned above though, its probably the TORS.

Edited by BansheeBoy17

have you cleaned the carbs at all lately? i had the same symptoms once and it was just some junk in my float bowl. i guess it would clog up, then loosen up again, over and over. start with the simple things before ripping the head off. if it's in the carbs you may need a new filter, or just clean it more often. B)