Illinois Motorcycle Laws

Can anybody tell me what the age restrictions are for motorcycle licenses in IL. I have looked all over the net and havent found a damn thing. I have heard from alot of people you have to be 18 to get the license, but can get a permit when you are 16. I asked a guy that teaches a drivers saftey course and he thought if you went and took the course you could get the license at 16. If anybody knows for sure, let me know. I rode a crotch rocket for the first time a couple days ago and fell in love, now I gotta have one.

16 + crotch rocket = :o ...

Seriously though, since youve got some time before your drivers test

get a helmet !

Lots of younger guys think they are too cool for them but they dont

look too cool with their brains splattered on the pavement...

Im not making any assumptions on your riding ability here , but one

thing I do know is that people in cars pay no attention to bikes so

defensive driving is a must. Ok , Im done preachin now , good luck

on your test and if you live near your local DMV go there after hours

and practice on the test course it will help. ;)

Yes I know where you are coming from with being 16. I look at it like this, no matter how old you are there will always be a first time on a street bike. I have never considered myself "young and stupid" and feel like getting a bike now or when I'm 20 wont make any difference. Living in a rural part of the state, I'm not exactly new to driving or riding on the road, I've been doing both for over 8 years. I also read more into taking the course, and it says you dont have to take it to get your license. Does this only apply to those 18+ or can I go to the DMV, take the written and writing test and get the license without taking the safetly course?

Well, you may not "have" to take the safety course, But I would recommend that you do. 1. Your insurance will be a lil cheaper if you have proof you took this safety course, and 2. you will learn at least 1 thing you didnt know and could save your life. So all in all it is worth it.

And Yes, practice all you can on the driving test, I took mine at 22 and it was a bit of a bitch. If you dont practice, you will fail, guaranteed. The written test is as easy as the one for cars, just different information.

And definitely get a helmet, I believe IL doesnt require the use of one, but if you dont use a helmet, that is just dumb.

Good luck

Well, you may not "have" to take the safety course, But I would recommend that you do. 1. Your insurance will be a lil cheaper if you have proof you took this safety course, and 2. you will learn at least 1 thing you didnt know and could save your life. So all in all it is worth it.

And Yes, practice all you can on the driving test, I took mine at 22 and it was a bit of a bitch. If you dont practice, you will fail, guaranteed. The written test is as easy as the one for cars, just different information.

And definitely get a helmet, I believe IL doesnt require the use of one, but if you dont use a helmet, that is just dumb.

Good luck

379722[/snapback]

I will take the course eventually, but the next class opening for the safety course is over 2 months away. I would really like to have a bike before then and not let it collect dust until I take the course. And yes, I will definitely be wearing a helmet. Is there somewhere I can find what the riding test involves?

Safety courses are a good idea, period. They may seem cheesy or lame but I guarantee you'll learn at least one thing from it. I took one last weekend for ATV's and it was well worth it; I wished I would have taken one before I started riding, would have saved me from a few accidents I've had over the years simply because I didn't know any better before. Aside from that, it DOES drop your insurance a good bit too! Just my .02 :shrugani:

:cheers:

Go to the nearest secretary of states office (DMV) and get a lil book,

its like rules of the road for motorcycles, it has all the info in there as well

as the layout of the test course.