Got Chrome, anyone?

dajogejr

Well...I bought my T5's used...to save some cash.

They're in kinda rough shape. Still run great...but, they need some cleaing up.

I've been using a light scotchbrite pad and a die grinder...to get the rust off. Mostly rusted underneath and out of sight....

I got 'em in pretty rough shape, but...I was happy to get rid of the stockers.

I'm either going to get some high heat VHT paint and paint 'em black...or, look into getting them rechromed.

Honestly...though. I dont' want to spend a fortune. I'm going to try the demo Rocket pipes, and...I have a feeling I'm goign to love 'em and have to buy a set. Soon as I do that...it's off to the HQ for sale section..and then...ebay. So, I dont' want to invest a fortune in them... in all probability I'm going to sell them in the next couple of weeks.

Anyone got any good, cheap chromers for the pipes? I'll finish cleaning them up...but, they could use paint OR a good dip...

Thanks...

:unsure:

Well...I bought my T5's used...to save some cash.

They're in kinda rough shape.  Still run great...but, they need some cleaing up.

I've been using a light scotchbrite pad and a die grinder...to get the rust off.  Mostly rusted underneath and out of sight....

I got 'em in pretty rough shape, but...I was happy to get rid of the stockers.

I'm either going to get some high heat VHT paint and paint 'em black...or, look into getting them rechromed.

Honestly...though.  I dont' want to spend a fortune.  I'm going to try the demo Rocket pipes, and...I have a feeling I'm goign to love 'em and have to buy a set.  Soon as I do that...it's off to the HQ for sale section..and then...ebay.  So, I dont' want to invest a fortune in them... in all probability I'm going to  sell them in the next couple of weeks.

Anyone got any good, cheap chromers for the pipes?  I'll finish cleaning them up...but, they could use paint OR a good dip...

Thanks...

:unsure:

376535[/snapback]

If they've been run you can't get them chromed. The shit that gets built up inside the pipes will get etched off in one of the many acid baths and will ruin the dip.

Well boys...thanks for the ideas. I have the demo Rockets on now...

Went for a quick ride...and, I'm mixed on 'em. Fast...yep. But, leg burners, harder to change plugs and forgetaboutit when it comes to shutting the fuel off.

However, I only rode for literally 10 minutes. I'm going riding all day tomorrow, and I'll see how they fair....

Well boys...thanks for the ideas.  I have the demo Rockets on now...

Went for a quick ride...and, I'm mixed on 'em.  Fast...yep.  But, leg burners, harder to change plugs and forgetaboutit when it comes to shutting the fuel off.

However, I only rode for literally 10 minutes.  I'm going riding all day tomorrow, and I'll see how they fair....

377586[/snapback]

The Rockets do take some getting used to. Im over the leg burning thing. I have no problem changing plugs with a normal wrench and if the pipes are hot all I use is a flathead screwdriver to shut the gas off.

I agree...I figured as much. I already had mechanix gloves on. I played move the pipe, shut the gas off about 4 times before I got it shut off.

I can deal with that and plugs...as I haven't fouled out a set yet.

it's the ergos for riding I'll see if I can get used to, in just a few short hours...:)

:cheers:

Actually....there's not a HUGE difference, from my initial ride anyways.

If you want a good, clean set of Toomey's...this ain't the one for you.

I'm going to scotch brite off all the rust I can, then try and polish out the chrome.

I'll post pics in the for sale section here, before I go off to ebay. Again, IF I decide to buy Rockets.

I'm gonna stick with my T5s.

Honestly...If all I did was drag and dune, I'd get 'em.

But, they hit your legs when you move around alot. There's no denying that.

They hit harder and more noticably than my T5s...and, I put a 15 tooth on the front to boot, up one from my 14 stocker. It was harder to keep on the pipe.

But, I like the more linear powerband my T5s gave. The jetting was spot on...I looked at the plugs...(once I let the beer kegs cool down..:) )

For the trails that I ride, some open, some tight...the better off idle response in the T5s is better. Plus, you're still getting a quality top end, albeit not as much as the rockets.

So...hey, I'm not saying they're a bad pipe at all. Even the black demos look cool as hell on the bike.

I'm just saying that they're not the right pipe for me and how/where I ride.

I'm glad Minkia lives so close to me to where I can drive a few minutes, pick 'em up and drop 'em off.

He's really a great, nice guy for sure.

I would say I'd like to try 'em again ...once I freshen up the top end and get my porting, but...truth is I still don't like hitting my legs on 'em...and the overall ergos of the pipes themselves. I'm going to sand down my pipes and repolish them.

My buddy is buying the snap on polish kit and discs. I did a little section of the pipe, and it looks much, much better than it did.

definately a great guy! I'm sure we will be riding together i nthe future!

Thanks for the honest review, and I'm sure that whatever you decide, you will be happy with. Rockets were not designed for trails (even though my trail bie loves them).