building a drag strip

wesw

i was wanting some advice on what would you do to make a strip or what would you have done.

im thinking of setting up a 300 ft place in a town that i used to live at.

was thinking of getting a tractor with a disc and work the ground up really well. over and over.

then get a load of sand and put in it to help make it a little more compact for traction.

was wondering on anyones thoughts

wes

well keeping it plowed will keep it soft and make it easy to maintain imo

sand will not help compaction however it will help if you want to keep it plowed.

first i guess you need to determan what kind of surface you want.

i like to keep the aledo track plowed and run it pretty soft it gives the riders more tire selections from turf tamers to prowedges to paddles if its round they run it.

on a hard pack or slicked off style track the only thing you have to work during races is the start line and any ruts that start to show.some times this can be hard to keep the track surface consistant.stock or dirt style tires work well on this style of tack.

im sure there are plenty of ideas out there but a soft track works for me it take a little time to get it ready but after we get it up and running i just make a pass down the track about every 5 or so quad passes.we water to keep the dust down this is a must ive seen times on a dirt track when you cant see the shut down area from the start line.

come down to the aledo race june 11 and check it out.bring your quads and do a little heads-up racing.

well, heres how i made my track. I made my dirt drag back in a flat section of field where alot of my trails and stuff are. I just took a lawnmower and mowed two 300ft strips about 4 or 6 feet wide. Then I took a tiller (didn't have a disc and tractor that i could use) and tilled up both strips. I did 2 runs over each strip, 1st run to break up the ground and 2nd run to really loosen it up. Took about 2-3 hours w/o stopin to do.

It worked out great. but after about 8 or 9 runs with the shee, ruts started to develope. then when it didn't rain for a while it got really dry and traction was almost gone at the start, really hard packed with dry powder on top, and the dust got really bad. Then when it did rain it would turn into a mud drag. I could spin all the way to 4th gear in the first 50 ft. I haven't re tilled it since i made it and the ruts are pretty deep.

i went to the one in ponca city today. i saw what i would do and what not.

would love to get some lights and a good tree setup but thats $$$$$$$$$$$$$