Another compression question

I just did a compression check on my shee. 120 psi on shift side and 90 psi on kicker side. What would cause this. Just heard a new ticking noise in engine, did a ring break. Should my compression be more than 120 on the shifter side. I am at 420ft elevation.

I just did a compression check on my shee. 120 psi on shift side and 90 psi on kicker side. What would cause this. Just heard a new ticking noise in engine, did a ring break. Should my compression be more than 120 on the shifter side. I am at 420ft elevation.

354698[/snapback]

They shouldn't be any more than 5 psi apart, and neither should be below 95. You need to put new pistons in there. May or may not have to bore, dunno, a machinist will tell you, but you'll have to hone em anyway.

You keep going with a difference like that and you'll be buying a new crank and possibly a cylinder if you screw up the one side.

Buy a top end kit and put pistons in that beeotch. And get em ported while they''re off.

Scott

I was told by a builder in the area that if he were to port my cylinders, I would have to buy a new aftermarket head to bring the compression back up. Is there any truth in this?

354782[/snapback]

umm a little bit. porting can lower your comp due to the raised rooves. but i think a sotck milled head would do fine.

umm a little bit.  porting can lower your comp due to the raised rooves.  but i think a sotck milled head would do fine.

354968[/snapback]

Word. and the machinist that bores/hones your cylinders can do your head for maybe $35.