poppin and loading up

proud owner of a 1996 banshee no problemns had it for a year. started it the other day thought i fouled a plug ,put new ones in but same thing poppin out the clutch side barely even runnin on that side cleaned the carb didnt help . i had a coolhead put on about 6 months ago had a compression test done 175 psi and 170 on brake side i didnt know it was that high so i have not been runnin racing gas what octane should i be using and by not using the right gas cause the popping and loading up if any one can help thank you

Edited by 2strokesmoke

You could have caused some damage with heat. You've gotten lucky so far with running pump gas but you could have a number of problems.

Crank Seal

plug wire (swap the plug wires. They fire at the same time anyway, you can't get them backwards.

If it's smoking white, it could be a head gasket.

Dirty filter

look at your plugs ,do you see little gray or white flecks on any of it? sounds like your bikes detonating from running pump gas ,you will DEFINITLY need 100+octane if it were me and your bike isnt ported id run another base gasket ,this will raise port timing slightly and drop you down around 155 psi which is safe for premium and youll notice alittle faster and higher revs too.IMO

look at your plugs ,do you see little gray or white flecks on any of it? sounds like your bikes detonating from running pump gas ,you will DEFINITLY need 100+octane if it were me and your bike isnt ported id run another base gasket ,this will raise port timing slightly and drop you down around 155 psi which is safe for premium and youll notice alittle faster and higher revs too.IMO

349457[/snapback]

i took the reeds out and put some 110 octane in there and the reeds had a little gap in them so i turned the around to see if that is the problem it ran alot better but it still has a little miss on idle on the clutch so i might try to get a newset of reeds the plugs are a light tan what color should they be thanks guys sure need the help if it is head gasket would it smell different

Edited by 2strokesmoke

i took the reeds out and put some 110 octane in there and the reeds had a little gap in them so i turned the around to see if that is the problem it ran alot better but it still has a little miss on idle on the clutch so i might try to get a newset of reeds the plugs are a light tan what color should they be thanks guys sure need the help if it is head gasket would it smell different

350178[/snapback]

Have you taken the head off yet? it's really not too difficult to do, and if your pretty sure something is wrong with the engine it might be worth a look. If you want to diagnose more first you can try a leak down test to make sure you do not have an airleak. All you need is a torque wrench and a head gasket. If you odn't have the wrench nowis as good a time as any to buy one. I got mine from Harbor freight for $20 and it does the trick.

if you do the leakdown test and you have a coolant leak it will more than likely pressurize the coolant in the radiator.

Edited by Justintoxicated

I had a similar problem and it ended up being the crank seal. Like a dipshit, I put it in backward when I had the motor apart for crank welding. Ran great for two years of hard use, then it sat for 6 mos. Ran like crap after that. I think it had been edgy but still sealing, then started leaking because it had dried out from sitting. Pain in the ass to replace if you don't have the cases split. banghead

Edited by ssanddemon

thanks for the help took the reeds out and they were bad had a little gap in them on that side got new ones and i am rippin again