What chip for my truck

Proquad101

You have a diesel, you most certainly can dump filtered veggy oil in the tank and run it. Provided a few things are done first. www.bio-diesel.org. ANyways, the stock tranny guage is useless. FOrget it even exists. It isn't going to lean the motor in the 75 setting. Quite the contrary. It will run rich, and run the egt's up a little bit. If you don't have guages, I wouldn't tow in the 75 setting. I tow in my 75 setting. All the time. I even click 140 sometimes. Just for shits and giggles. I wouldn't even tow stock without guages. My EGT's were higher stock, than they were with mods. Guages were the first mod I did. :confused:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sredish on the guages for sure. The man has got the hookup. On the Hypetech programmer, I am not really impressed with any of the programmers. Very bad shifting, and below par power. To get the good shit, you need a chip. BUT, this will void your warranty if you aren't "tight" with the dealer's service department. I have and love TS performance chips. There are others out there, but TS is the only name in the game with a 6 stage flip. Except for Banks' 6 gun. But Banks is a proven, "idiot-proof" setup. Yo can pound the truck all day long, without fear of ruining the engine. But there are other, cheaper and usually more effective ways to make power for your diesel powered pickup truck. My truck, with just minimal mods will flat out embarass alot of vehicles on the road, and even do it loaded. I race people all the time with my landscape trailer on. EVen the equipment trailer I am not afraid to line up with. :confused: Paying attention to the guages is esential. I remember that my truck ran hotter stock than it does modded. I could easily peg 1200 deg. F on the EGT with stock componentry. I established a baseline on the truck, while it was stock, so I could base any changes to it, and see how it performed. I kind of guinea pig my truck for a few things. if you must use a programmer, I suggest an Edge Evolution. Or the new Juice, also from Edge. I don't like any of the other programmers, although second choice would go to the Predator programmer. IMHO. Exhaust, Anything you get will be fine. It's not like a 2 stroke. As long as it is 4" from the turbo outlet to the back of the truck, go for it. I personally am runing an MBRP exhaust, and the fit and finish is superb. Very easy to install. My intake is an Air Flow Engineering (AFE) stage II with a Pro-Guard 7 filter. I love it. I have alot of stuff mounted to the intake as well. Solenoids, an air compressor, relays, it provides a nice place for all of this. This is on a Powerstroke. ON the other engines, I am not too familiar with. Except the manual pumped Cummins 12 valves. Which is a splendid engine. Very easy to mod with fuel plates, and pressures. On your powerstroke, be aware that opening up the intake and exhaust leaves you prone to turbo surge and chatter with the stock turbo and compressor wheel. You will need to change these if you haul anything. Mod the hell out of it. Your fuel mileage won't suffer a bit, and you'll have all kinds of crazy power. :headbang:

We've been trying to figure out what to do first. Exhaust, gauges, chip/programmer? I wondered about the differences in exhaust especially since the prices have varied from $400 to over $1000. I would guess they are all basically the same unless it's SS or aluminized. I have been checking into an Edge Evolution, but I thought maybe the exhaust should be done first. :confused: We were thinking of just a drop in filter since we're in dusty and sandy conditions when we're riding or out racing. I'll hit sredish up when he gets back in town about the gauges. Would it hurt to go ahead and do the exhaust and then do the gauges in a month or so? Thanks for the info boonman.

Wouldn't hurt at thing if you put the exhaust on before guages. Just make sure that before you put any more fuel to the engine, have some guages. I suggest replacing the intake all together. The factory setup is like a banshee's factory setup. It is known to leak. If you are worried about dust, check out a factory Ford AIS (severe service) intake. They seal very well. I love my AFE intake. And I wouldn't personally run anything less than a pro-guard 7 filter. Works fantastic. And no matter what filter setup you run, its' gonna clog with dust if you drive in dusty conditions. The engine has to get air from somewhere.