Filter & Airbox Jetting

watkins

It will be close. A good start at least, if anything else I would say you might even be too rich. But it will still be a good starting point. I was running 250 mains when I was completely stock with just my k&n clamp ons, I was too rich, but that was in 40 degrees, and different elevation.

NO, no, no.... sorry 05bansh I have to desagree on that one.

The range most be 280-300 mains, if at sea level and without airbox lid. If temps get very cold, put bigger mains.

If you ride with the airbox lid on, and no snorkle, then put a set of 260 mains, but do not take the air box lid off or the shee will run lean. Bad things happen when the shee runs lean.

I ride at 1000 feet from sea level, temp 70-90 farenheight, stock everything, no airbox lid, 280 mains, air screws 1 1/2 turns out from seated. I even can ride with 300 mains on and still be okay, no bugging.

Hope this helps. :cheers:

Edited by richybanshee

hmph... I was reading a document that said :

Air filter

Remove snorkel:1-2 sizes larger on the mains, adjust airscrews

Remove airbox lid:1-2 sizes larger on the mains, adjust airscrews

Add foam air filter:0-2 sizes larger on the mains, adjust airscrews

Add K&N air filter:4-6 sizes larger on the mains, adjust airscrews, add one size on pilots if necessary

Add 2 into 1 Foam air filter OR dual carb-mounted foam filters (removing entire airbox, NOT in addition to removing snorkel and airbox lid above):2-4 sizes larger on mains, adjust airscrews, add one size on pilots if necessary

Add Dual K&N carb-mounted air filters (no airbox, NOT in addition to removing snorkel and airbox lid above):4-7 sizes larger on the mains, adjust airscrews, add one size on pilots if necessary

Add Outerwear:no change

Add TORS elimination kit:no change

.... So maybe 280 is correct. This will be the first time i have ever jetted so it may take me some time to figure out if its correct or not.

Well I ride at about 3000 elevation, so for my shee the 250 was a little rich. I am running 290's right now, with everything in my sig, my plugs are PERFECTLY Brown, but that is my shee. To me if you are running 280-300 mains with just your lid off, that sounds rediculously rich. But Hey, I'm no pro. Every banshee runs different and responds different to different mods. My advise to you Watkins is start with a little bigger main 250...and go from there...if it bogs down a little bit, your rich. Do a plug chop after wot and you will know where you are at.

Well I ride at about 3000 elevation, so for my shee the 250 was a little rich.  I am running 290's right now, with everything in my sig, my plugs are PERFECTLY Brown,  but that is my shee.  To me if you are running 280-300 mains with just your lid off, that sounds rediculously rich.  But Hey, I'm no pro.  Every banshee runs different and responds different to different mods.  My advise to you Watkins is start with a little bigger main 250...and go from there...if it bogs down a little bit, your rich.  Do a plug chop after wot and you will know where you are at.

324483[/snapback]

Sounds like a plan .

I ride between sea level up to 2,000 feet.

from me:

The range most be 280-300 mains, if at sea level and without airbox lid. If temps get very cold, put bigger mains.

For all mods Watkins mentions. 250 mains can be a good idea for 3000 feet over sea level and probably not so cold temps, but at sea level is way lean if running without the lid and K&N filter and temp 70 degrees.

One last thing, Watkins do not base your jetting in porcelin color, look at the base of the ring. If you can not see well, chop the plug. From there comes the plug chop method. :cheers:

EXCELLENT HOW TO ARTICLE: (effects of altitude, air density, temperature, and gasoline on jetting) by SREDISH

URL: http://www.bansheehq.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23546

Edited by richybanshee

Are we talking about stock pipes or aftmkt? I couldn't imagine running 300 mains with stock pipes at sea level. Hell, there are a lot of peeps running 280s with aftmkt pipes. I'd say try the 250 and check your plugs. You might be a little rich with that even.

Given: Every machine, every situation is different. You can't jet by what someone else does or what someone else tells you.

But.. <_<

On my stock-piped Banshee at sealevel, 50

Edited by canyncarvr

Are we talking about stock pipes or aftmkt?  I couldn't imagine running 300 mains with stock pipes at sea level.  Hell, there are a lot of peeps running 280s with aftmkt pipes.  I'd say try the 250 and check your plugs.  You might be a little rich with that even.

324528[/snapback]

Yeah stock pipes.

sredish, all I just mentioned is with stock pipes, NO AIR BOX LID.

Probably my shee is not normal, who knows .... but it rides great. I think Watkins should start testing with 280 mains. The worst thing that can happen is that the shee does not ride well, but at least it will be safe and not on the lean side. I doubt he will have problems since many banshee riders here go with 280 mains, lid off, K&N filter. We ride at 1000 feet and 70-90 temps.

Let him try it .. so that he can give us feedback of the test. Then will see who is closer to what he needs. :cheers: To everyone.

Edited by richybanshee

I listen and pickup info from every direction... That is why I'm confident of what I say. But you guys are right to have any kind of opinion, so I'm going to let all this controversy die here and wait for some feedback from watkins.

The main purpose of the post was to give him an idea of where to start on jetting, I think we have done that. :cheers:

Finally, the number of post or a member category means nothing. Probably a rookie may know more than a HQ Legend. Here we do not debate on the number of post, we help new and old members, or chare experiences because we all have something in common ... BANSHEE's. :bolt:

Edited by richybanshee