Can you run a stroker crank in stock motor?

01bansheefox

The motor has a trail/drag port with adv timing. I was wondering if it fits in the motor. You dont need bigger cylinders or anything what stops it from hitting the spark plugs, because stroker crank= longer right?

Would a stroker crank wok better or should I just leave the stock one alone.

The understanding that I had was that if you had your cyls ported before getting it stroked then the ports aren't going to match up. This may or may not be correctable by getting it reported, depending on how much was removed from the first porting. A spacer plate fits in where the cyls attach to the case thereby raising the cyls up to compensate. The preferable method of dealing with the extra stroke is to either run a different head made for strokers or to have your stock head domes milled to accomodate the added stroke. I don't really understand the physics involved but spacer plates screw with crankcase volume and aren't a very good way to go. If you added a stroker crank without having the engine ported you'd feel some gains, but it wouldn't be much. I was told that a stock engine running a +4 stroker would have about as much power as a stock engine with a mild port job. That's basically all I've learned so far as I'm researching the same topic. Although in my case I have no porting but am planning on getting it ported in June.

Wallrat,

You are right about reporting your cylinders to accommodate a stoker crank. Depending on the amount of porting on your cylinders, you may need to get some new ones so they can be ported to match the stroker.

01bansheefox,

If you are looking for some more power, I would suggest getting your stock cylinders ported and skip the stroker for now. You will be pleased with the power gain and it won

As i said above the cylinders already have trail/drag port along with a milled head. and weisco pistons.

294322[/snapback]

Your right, you did say that. :confused:

I guess you need to talk to your builder and see if you will be able to put a stroker crank in those cylinders, or if you need new ones.