400ex valve springs?

adeezy9183

hey guys i got an 01 400 ex that i have been riding for the past few months with no problems. it is bored .20 over with a k and n filter. just recently it has been making a metal on metal clinging noise every time the piston goes up and down. people have told me that a valve spring has broke and that's the problem. is that the problem and if it is how hard is it to replace and how much? could i do it myself? I use to have a banshee and i could work on them pretty good. i know theirs a difference in the engine though. thanks a lot guys.

hey guys i tore the head off the 400ex this evening and the springs and stuff look fine from the top so i don't think they're broke but i look on the underside of the head and the things the springs move and easily hitting the top of the head when they go up and down. do you guys know what causes that? it's almost like they loosened up somehow and are hitting the head on every compression. PLEEZ help

Could have worn springs, take them out get your book for the specs and measure your valve spring freelengths. Also make sure all your gaskets are the right gaskets. Thinner ones may cause valve to piston contact. Thats head, cylinder, and base gaskets. Not sure about your springs, but when you re-install them if they are anything other than single rate make sure they are installed the right way. (tighter band of coils down)