shifting troubles

DirtRider

i put my modified shift star back on and its not shifting right. what i tried to do was put everything back together but the cluch boss and housing and just see if i could switch gears with out the clutch attached. is this possable? its getting stuck inbetween gears and is realy not working out right. do i need to reassemble the whole side clutch side cover and load it with oil for it to work properly? thanks

you do have to hand turn the engine to shift it properly though? i just dont wanna get the coolent and everything back in there and find out that im still banghead

if i turn the shaft that the slutch sits on it will shift a little but not too smooth.

Yes, you can switch gears as long as the shift drum, shift forks, gear clusters, and shift star (and detent lever) are all intact. It will shift relatively easy by hand if there's no fluids in it, no clutch hooked up, etc.

And nope, you don't have to do anything with the engine itself to make sure the transmission is shifting properly. Should be able to start at N, spin the gears freely, and spin 'em all the way through 6th -- either twist the shift star/drum manually, or put the shift lever in temporarily for testing.