dunefest,oregon

bbluebanshee

this may not have happened on the dunes, but on the way to the dunes....

I was supposed to be helping a friend set up a booth on Saturday morning. He had a pretty bad night, and decided he was not going to set up for the day. So i was up at the place he rented cleaning up my bike, waiting for my girlfriend to bring me an oil fill plug and some transmission fluid. I got a call from her cell phone. At first i figured it was her asking if i wanted anything to eat, but no. I was some dude telling me she was in an accident. So I went to the scene, only 5 minutes away.

Holy shit!!! The front of the pickup she was driving looked pretty good, but when i saw the side and rear, I knew she was hurt. She was turning off the highway to the left. She was stopped, waiting for traffic when blam, she got rearended by a motorhome. She ended up with a broken back and a broken rib. her L1 vertebrae had a starburst fracture, and was very unstable. Sunday afternoon she went through 6 hours of surgery to repair part of her vertebrae, and may still have to wait for another surgery to fix the rest.

I am so glad she was not in her car, a dodge neon, or my truck, a regular cab dodge ram. She was driving and extended cab dodge dakota. If she would have been in my truck, her banshee would have probably mashed her head. But the extended cab of the dakota gave her a little room. The banshee frame is bent in 4 or 5 different places. i am bummed she will not be riding at all for at least a year :(

I heard about this on SLD. Good to hear she isn't in even worse shape. My parents do campground hosting at the state park there and I've almost had that same thing happen a few times. People get hauling ass down that hill and can't get stopped in time. :angry: