Sand Paddles

jonnyrebel2004

What kind of sand paddels would you guys suggest? You can read my signature to see what all I have done to my shee. I bought a set of 22x11.00-10, 8 paddle Skat Trac Taller Haulers that I think have too much grip for me. When I go to take off my shee shakes real bad until i get up some speed. Do you guys think they have too much grip or what? It wont do it if I rev it up and dump the clutch, but it does if I try to take off slow. It doesnt do this when I have on my holeshots on. Anyways I am looking to get some different paddels and I was wanting to know what you guys think would be best. I am kinda looking at some star skats or just some regular skat trac haulers. Let me know what yall think. Thanks Travis

jonnyrebel2004 - Try using the search feature, this has been a hot topic for discussioon in the past with a lot of people providing their opinions on good sand tires - likes / dis-likes etc...

Sounds like you should have went with 20's...

If ya want a cheap & great alternative...check out Sand King's turbo paddles - http://www.kingstire.com/KT-177.htm

I paid like $160 out the door ready to bolt on from http:www.jimssandtoys.com

Worth checking out if nothing else...

Sand%20Kings-turbopaddle.jpg

They're built better than the skats are and work just as good as my previous 9paddle haulers...plus they're about 100 cheaper. ;)

Here we go with the Kings again. :rolleyes::lol:

Never ran them, I'm sure they're great. I, personally, am not real fond of the straight paddles. They hook up awesome, but turning and sliding, they hold hold hold and then whoooooommm, break loose and it feels like the whole quad gave out in the rear. My Sand Skate II Vs are totally awesome for most riding. They are totally predictable when turning, or carving in the sand and they are really stable in turns.

They're a hair behind the straight paddles in the drags. I really had to get my throttle and clutch just right, or it was either coming up, or I dug real bad, where the straight paddles came out and went. If I got it right, I could hang pretty good, but it's still not the same in drags.

If your not a big dragger, I'd consider some V paddles.

OK I now have it narrowed down between some ITP Sand Stars and the Sand King's turbo paddles. Do yall think a smaller tire will stop the vibrating? I have read some of the other post on the subject of straight or v shped paddles, but I still dont know. I dont want to loss alot of traction, but I want something that is a lilttle easier to turn than the ones I have now. Which ones would yall sugest and in what size? Thanks

Your vibration may be due to the tires being out of "phase" on the rims. The cups on the paddles should be in the exact same location side to side. For example, with your paddles on the bike the cups should contact the ground at the same time on each side when moving, if not this will cause a vibration because there is a delay between paddle to ground contact. Did that make sense?

Did that make sense?

Yes,...dunno how you could explain it better. :unsure:

Never ran them, I'm sure they're great. I, personally, am not real fond of the straight paddles. They hook up awesome, but turning and sliding, they hold hold hold and then whoooooommm, break loose and it feels like the whole quad gave out in the rear. My Sand Skate II Vs are totally awesome for most riding. They are totally predictable when turning, or carving in the sand and they are really stable in turns.

At first they may seem that way, but after you get some seat time on them you get used to them & they'll do whatever you want them to. But yeah,...if they get to sliding good...yeehaw! :D

At first they may seem that way, but after you get some seat time on them you get used to them & they'll do whatever you want them to.  But yeah,...if they get to sliding good...yeehaw! :D

I'm sure that's the truth. It's more what your used to then what's better. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking for new paddles also, I have narrowed it down between Sand Stars and Skate II's. I think I dune way to much to run straight paddles (yea they work but V's are better for this)...Now im tempted to try those straight ones in the pic above...But how much do they weigh compared to Skat Tracks? it comes down to weight and durability usualy in my book. And Skat Tracks just don't hold up as long as molded tires...Thats why I love my Skate II's; decently light and good construction, although mine are pretty shot at this point...

The Sand Stars look like they might hook up a little better but I believe they are also much heavier than the Skate II's?

gotta multiply rotating mass times 10 to figure out weight differences compared to normal weight. So 4 lbs heavier per tire is like hauling around an additional 80 lbs....

Edited by Justintoxicated

The sand stars are VERY close in weight to the skate II's. I was having the same dilema as you and I went with the Sand Stars...couldn't be happier.

Jonny - try dropping a tooth on your front sprocket before you buy some other tires.

Edited by Wallrat

But how much do they weigh compared to Skat Tracks?

I don't believe they weigh any more than the skats did. I ran 9paddle haulers previously, I like the performance & durability of the Turbo Paddles better myself. I wouldn't mind trying some sand stars just for chits, I'm sure they're great too...my g/f's little brother runs them on his blaster and likes them a lot.