Possibly The Dumbest Banshee Kill

phonebem

Hi guys I'm new to the site but not new to riding, I just saw this forum and thought it would be a worthy first post. Last summer I took my Banshee out for a day of riding in the dunes and while doing the ritualistic mixing of gas I got distracted. As things turned-out I put two shots of oil in one of the cans I was mixing and none in the other. The next day I went riding and the 'shee seemed to be running pretty good but kinda hot... Guess which can I used first, yep the straight gas. Seized the left piston and tore the crap out of the right one, had no clue untill I drained the tank and noticed the gas wasn't pink (I used Klotz at the time, I've since switched to Redline). Two Racelight pistons down the drain and it took .020 of honeing to smooth the cylinders. Ever since I always triple check that there is in fact oil in the gas before I fill the tank. Please someone tell me I'm not the only person to have ever done this. :wacko:

as long as you learn from a mistake its ok, but to make the same one repeatedly will get you a big "L", that's why i got away from castor 927, it does'nt color the gas and i've been known to be quite forgetful... :huh:

Hi guys I'm new to the site but not new to riding, I just saw this forum and thought it would be a worthy first post.  Last summer I took my Banshee out for a day of riding in the dunes and while doing the ritualistic mixing of gas I got distracted.  As things turned-out  I put two shots of oil in one of the cans I was mixing and none in the other.  The next day I went riding and the 'shee seemed to be running pretty good but kinda hot...  Guess which can I used first, yep the straight gas.  Seized the left piston and tore the crap out of the right one, had no clue untill I drained the tank and noticed the gas wasn't pink (I used Klotz at the time, I've since switched to Redline).  Two Racelight pistons down the drain and it took .020 of honeing to smooth the cylinders.  Ever since I always triple check that there is in fact oil in the gas before I fill the tank.  Please someone tell me I'm not the only person to have ever done this. :wacko:

I haven't done it, and I'm terrified to even think about it. I use basically any type of oil that is dark. Mostly because I lose track of shit from time to time, and my mower really hates to run pre mix. LOL Thats were I burn my "I don't know if its mixed or not" gas.

Looks like you're from my neck of the woods.

Joe,

Yeah it looks like it. I'll assume you spend most of your time riding at Jericho, thats where the infamous incident happened. Thats why I really hate the newer style of gas cans with the rigid black spouts, I miss the ones with the flexible clear ones so you can see the gas in the tube.

Joe,

Yeah it looks like it.  I'll assume you spend most of your time riding at Jericho,  thats where the infamous incident happened.  Thats why I really hate the newer style of gas cans with the rigid black spouts, I miss the ones with the flexible clear ones so you can see the gas in the tube.

In the last year and a half the only place I've ridden is Dumont in CA.

I like Sand mountain and St. Anthonys. I've been to St. Anthonys more in the 6 years I've had my banshee, but I can't say I like it there more. SM is a nice place too.

We usualy make it up to St. Anne's a few times a year. The last time I had my Banshee there I killed it and I'm just taking the down time to REALLY re-build it (I've still been riding though, I also have an RM250 which I usually ride). I had the stinger separate from my left spark plug and tear the living crap out of the piston, dome, and cylinder. So I said screw it and am waiting to move to start a full teardown/re-build of the whole bike. I'm thinking PC'd frame, +2 A-arms, 2+2 rear axle, Trinity CV intake, either Trinity Stage IV or TR T6 pipes, and new plastic/graphics.

• 3 weeks later...

hey stan, i went to dumont the other day and it was calling you :lol:

hey i know where i seen that name phonebem, welcome man, you help me with the truck ill help you with the shee ;)

Edited by evil

hey stan, i went to dumont the other day and it was calling you :lol:

hey i know where i seen that name phonebem, welcome man, you help me with the truck ill help you with the shee ;)

Thats odd. I have another relative dying in Pahrump. Probably going to be out that way in a month or so....No riding for me though. :angry: I got to get back on the funeral train.

How hot was it? about a million?

Its been cold enough here that we have the heat come on every morning. :shootself:

it was fucking HOTTTTTT !!!!! i didnt go to ride but to visit a friend up there and took the 150 for a blast through the trails and flats, mabey seen 4 people total.

i've dumped my gas a few times before cuz i wasn't sure if it was mixed or not. i'd rather lose a few gal. of gas than my motor. after that, before the gas is mixed, i turn around the spout on the can backwards. after mixing, i turn it forward so it can be poured out. no doubt anymore whether it's mixed or not. :D